Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 day old baby. Boobs rock-hard and painful. Baby losing weight. ?!*@!*

Default Re: 3 day old baby. Boobs rock-hard and painful. Baby losing weight. ?!*@!*

Thank you Ladies so much for the support and ideas. I have been quite diligent over the past few days, using compression, hot/cold compresses & reverse-pressure-softening and a hospital grade pump to try to get out anything the baby isn't getting out, waking baby to nurse, taking Lecithin & fish oil & homemade broth & motrin!

I feel I've been doing all I can but just had weigh-ins at day 7 and day 8 (today) and baby's weight has been at a stand still (neither losing or gaining) since day 4.

Doctors said it was time for formula, 6-8 ounces a day.

Can a weight plateau for 4 days possibly be normal around the time my milk has come in and I am trying to clear up remaining engorgement and clogs????

Doctors said baby looks great in all other ways- looks healthy, zero jaundice at any point, behaves well, poos and pees have improved, but he is Not Gaining.

Can I hold off another couple of days on the formula? I want what is best for baby, and doctors want Weight Gain immediately. But I am scared formula, any at all, is going to make life much harder getting a good supply going.

What is the risk of not gaining weight all these days? develomental problems? Brain not growing?!?!??!

Default Re: 3 day old baby. Boobs rock-hard and painful. Baby losing weight. ?!*@!*

Are you still having problems with engorgement? The fact that he stopped losing weight and you're seeing more diaper output means he is getting some milk -- more than he was before. That's a good sign! One thing you could do to keep heading in the right direction is simply nursing more often. Like every hour... or every half an hour, even. Just putting everything else aside and doing nothing but nursing as much as your baby will cooperate with. Even if he's not interested in a long nursing session that often, just a little milk here and there will add up. Human babies are meant to be snackers.

I would recommend trying to find a certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to get some hands-on help. Efficient breastfeeding combines a lot of factors between mom and baby -- it's hard to know what the reason is when a baby isn't gaining well. Most people assume it's because the mom can't make enough milk, but that's actually one of the less likely causes. It certainly sounds like baby having trouble transferring the milk is more likely in your case. An IBCLC could help you pinpoint what exactly is going on and what you can do about it. You can check the International Lactation Consultant Association website to see if there are any IBCLCs near you.

How is the rental pump working for you? Have you been able to express any milk that you could use as a supplement instead of formula?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks Karen!

I am still having engorgement problems but the situation improves daily ,with less rocky areas and more soft areas-- so hopefully if I keep up my efforts with that, it will continue to resolve completely, I am hoping inside of another week!
    It's still disturbing to have some big hard areas but I am working on them at each nursing with heat & massage.

I agree, I am happy that he stopped losing, and the Pee & Poo situation have improved daily!! In the past 24 hours I had 8 pees and 5 poos! (of varying size, not all huge) so I take that as a good sign too.
    But beyond the not-losing, obviously he needs to be gaining asap.

Yes, nursing more often! Saturday (baby age 8 days) when the doc told me to start formula supplements (6-8 oz of high-calorie mix) and I decided NOT to supplement, but to hold off until our weigh-in on Monday (day 10), I dedicated the weekend to nursing. Nursed 18 times in the past 24 hours, so almost hourly! :-) I am not sure if anything is coming out in the late-date nursings but I keep putting him on.

I did meet with an IBCLC as well, and got some hands on tip to make the latch a bit more efficient, so that is good too!
    She also had given me the tips on dealing with engorgement that I am using daily.

The pump I am not thrilled with, I mostly can only get 1/2 ounce per day, that is with two pump sessions a day (cannot seem to find the time for more). Although Today I got it over 1 ounce by having a pump in the morning. I am giving my baby the milk in the evenings at "bed time". But that is not anywhere near the amount of supplementing the Ped was suggesting.

WISH ME LUCK :-) LLLadies! I have been trying as hard as i can (cannot say it was perfect because I've been deliriously tired & getting 2-4 hrs of sleep per day, so sometimes slack off on the compression or a compress here or there, and I forgot cabbage leaves today, etc) but I AM doing my best, and the pee and poo does keep getting better so I am PRAYING that my weigh in tomorrow (Monday) at age 10-days will show a real gain!!!!

Else I am going to be asking you all HOW do I supplement without destroying my chances to build up a great supply. UGH!!

thank you!
    Shannon

Hang in there, mama! You're doing an awesome job. This is a huge investment of time and energy, and I think chances are good that it is going to pay off soon. You're getting good diaper output, and that is an indicator that you are getting where you want to be going. Let us know how the weigh in tomorrow goes! Please make sure your baby is weighed on the same scale as last time, and always in the nude. At this stage you want to have very accurate weights, since just a couple of oz can mean the difference between the pediatrician saying "Good job, see you in a couple months" and "Uh-oh, break out the formula."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!

I am so frustrated right now - just offered an ounce of pumped milk (right after nursing) at 2:30am and he would not take it!
    I am LOATHE to throw out this entire ounce :-( I pumped it during the day, had it in the fridge..
    Brought it back to room temperature about 11pm, and then offered it to him at 2:30 where he took a sip and then refused it. It's garbage now right? UUUGGGHHH I really wanted every ounce to go INTO him :-(

It's very frustrating feeling so much pressure on every single thing-- every ounce of milk, every poo, every pee, every nursing, every lump in the boob, how he behaves after each nursing, etc

Thumbs up Re: 3 day old baby. Boobs rock-hard and painful. Baby losing weight. ?!*@!*

THANK YOU LADIES for your encouragement especially!

I am so happy to report that after a weekend of nursing-like-a-wild-woman (18 times a day) I was able to see "normal" amounts of pees and poos and finally showed a real weight gain today at the Ped!!! She said it was okay to avoid supplementing at this point woo hoo!! I have to keep it up now but I feel so happy my supply is coming in line with my son's needs YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful! Congratulations, mama. You worked hard to make this happen!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great Job, mama! So glad you were able to avoid supplementing! Sounds like maybe all you need to sort out now is the oversupply? Is that getting better? If you're LO's weight is OK, maybe now is a time to stop with pumping (if you can w/o getting engorged)? I wonder if that would help even out your supply some?
    Keep up all the great work!

Yay!!! Great job! It really is so much work in those first few weeks. I remember being beside myself when the engorgement happened. Luckily my Mom was there to help out. Don't worry about just getting 1/2 oz or so with the pumping. That's all I was able to get in the beginning too. Pumping is hard work and it takes time for the body to adjust to it. I wouldn't worry so much about trying to pump, just put baby to breast as often as possible. It's also not uncommon for a breastfed baby to refuse the bottle early on. He would rather have you! Plus bottle feeding this early could lead to nipple confusion which really might mess you up. I would recommend freezing any pumped milk at this point. You can always use it later!

Again big hugs and congrats!!!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Way to go! Those first couple of weeks are awful - really they are - especially at night when you feel like you can't get any rest.

My lactation consultant suggested cold cabbage leaves for my breasts if they got engorged. I haven't had to deal with that too much, but I thought I'd offer that as another suggestion!

I'm so happy you're not having to supplement - and yes, baby is probably too little for the bottle anyway. We tried with mine (he'll be 2 months on Monday) when he was a week/2 weeks, and there was no going for him.

And although we don't want to pour out any of our expressed milk, the beauty is that it's FREE! So, even if we are sad to pour out that liquid gold, we know there's plenty more where it came from!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com