Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increase in nursing

Default Increase in nursing

All of a sudden for the past week or so all DD seems to want to do is nurse. Every time I pick her up or she gets anywhere near me. I try to play with her, she wants to nurse. We go out, she wants to nurse. Even if it's only been a few minutes. The times she wanted to nurse were pretty consistent for a while, even when there were times that she would want to nurse more often it would just mean a few added nursing sessions. It wasn't even this bad when her molars were coming in. She's doing fine with the solids and it doesn't seem like there is anything bothering her. She's 16 months now. Anyone else gone through this?

Default Re: Increase in nursing

Mine has had several waves that were like that. He's 3.5 and going through another right now (that I am not indulging this time, but am acknowledging). I think it's pretty normal. Sometimes it can be a sickness coming on, sometimes there is some development happening, other times - who knows?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

She also started throwing little tantrums and learned how to get into my shirt and get it herself, if I allow her to. I don't know if it's just because she knows she can? She also gets mad when anyone gets anywhere near my chest area. I hugged one of her stuffed animals and she threw a fit. I think I need to plan my outfit better tomorrow until she gets the picture of not being able to nurse anywhere anytime. She's been hitting me in chest when I won't let her.

Smile Re: Increase in nursing

My 15 mth old DS is doing the same. Pulling my shirt & smacking my chest all day to nurse. I feel trapped in the rocking chair!!! Since I co-slept with him in my bed, he's used to nursing on demand at night and won't sleep in a crib (scream-fest and I wouldn't let him CIO), so I have a twin size mattress on his floor and we sleep there. He has even increased his nighttime nursing too! I know that he's getting the last of his teeth now, and growing but I am having the hardest time with him.

He WILL drink water only from a sippy with a straw, but not a sippy that needs to be tilted.

He will NOT drink cows milk or juice at all.

He nurses at home, or in the car while daddy is driving (thank god for the ability to maneuver them over his way. ) He will not nurse in public otherwise since he hates any sort of cover on him. We have been out at places where he's ripped off the cover without any warning. (Nice way to get some unhappy looks in Amish Country)

Sorry to kind of hijack your post, but it seems that anyone that can advise you would help me as well.

My 5 yr old DS was weaned cold turkey at 4 months when I was in the hospital with Kidney stones and the meds they had me on weren't researched for leaching into the milk. I have no idea how to get this done, since my first wasn't able to chase me around and demand it.

Hope everything goes smoothly very soon!

Mommy to Kevin 5.5 yrs old and James 15 mths old.

It's okay to set limits, although I'll admit, it sometimes takes a while! I taught Joe the sign for "milk" since he has a speech delay (he now says milk too, but still signs it, even in the middle of the night, so I'll just see this little dark shadow making the milk sign ) and every time he yanked on my shirt, removed his hand and prompted him to make the sign instead. Eventually, he learned to "ask nicely." I also tried to teach delayed gratification, by saying, we'll nurse after this book, after this song, after dinner, etc. Of course, exceptions were made when he was really sad, hurt, etc.

He won't let me wear a cover, though!! He hasn't allowed that since he was a lil' pup.

In the end, it seems to have worked, if anything, too well. Now he really only nurses at night and will only occasionally nurse during the day at all, preferring cow's milk to mom's milk. But it really seems to depend on the child's personality. Some children really start to self-wean around two, others ... not so much.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It's okay to set limits, although I'll admit, it sometimes takes a while! I taught Joe the sign for "milk" since he has a speech delay (he now says milk too, but still signs it, even in the middle of the night, so I'll just see this little dark shadow making the milk sign ) and every time he yanked on my shirt, removed his hand and prompted him to make the sign instead. Eventually, he learned to "ask nicely." I also tried to teach delayed gratification, by saying, we'll nurse after this book, after this song, after dinner, etc. Of course, exceptions were made when he was really sad, hurt, etc.

He won't let me wear a cover, though!! He hasn't allowed that since he was a lil' pup.

In the end, it seems to have worked, if anything, too well. Now he really only nurses at night and will only occasionally nurse during the day at all, preferring cow's milk to mom's milk. But it really seems to depend on the child's personality. Some children really start to self-wean around two, others ... not so much.
    That's so cute. DH was saying boobies, so now DD says boobies. She doesn't say it when she wants to nurse, though. I was scared. I think she says something that sounds like night-night. She just started saying "bye-bye" and trying to put them away herself when she's done.

She doesn't nurse with a cover, either and really hasn't since she was able to rip them off. Everytime I've tried to NIP a person would come near us and she would pop off to look at them, so I would have to do it somewhere out of the way anyway.

Unless she's having an off night she pretty much sleeps through, maybe waking once for a minute or two. DH has slept with her alone and he said she pretty much just woke up, looked at him like he had two heads and went back to sleep. She started waking a lot again when her molars were coming in, though. Hopefully it will get easier for you when they're done coming in.

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

[QUOTE. She just started saying "bye-bye" and trying to put them away herself when she's done.

[/QUOTE]

hee hee! Edward does this too! I was like, 'oh ok!' the first time he did it.

And yes, i think developmental surges is a major factor in the nursing increase. Edward got to 13 months and started feeding like a newborn again - as frequently and for as long. Great chance to sit down and read! Going back to work and putting ds in nursery also accounts for it I think, as it's reconnection time.

The boob is a great place to chill out

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*homeopathicbaby View Post

The boob is a great place to chill out

I love the increased nursing going with the increased crazy toddler running around energy. It allows me to sit down for a few minutes of silence! Can't say mama mama mama mama constantly with boob in there can ya LO?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My DD is 20 months and for the most part if we are home she's nursing! We spend a lot of time away from home to get her mind off of it! I don't feel right telling her no unless we have company because she throws a huge fit! I wish I could experience an increase in nursing, but there is no increase with my LO!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!