Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive Let Down?? Too Much Milk??

Default Overactive Let Down?? Too Much Milk??

Okay, so I am a first time mommy, and naturally I *FREAK* out about everything! So my little one (5 weeks old) is doing fantastic at latching on, right from the start. He was 7.2lbs at birth, went home weighing 6.12 (6% of birth weight) 2 days later he weighed 6.13, 10 days weighed 7.65 and now he is a whopping 10lbs! So I'm pretty sure he is getting the nutrients he needs (I hope!)

Well, when he breast feeds he always chokes in the very beginning, and it's heartbreaking. He does this gasping for air and choking sound that is just a killer to me... When I take him off of the breast as he is choking my breast is constantly flowing, I have to wrestle around to find my breast pads put that on fast, and pat him on the back, hold his head All while trying to make sure he is breathing! After we clear his pipes, he is back on the nipple GULPING. He only stays on for about 10-15 minutes (sometimes 7 or 8) at a time. I called our lactation consultant and she stated it was fine, because he was gaining weight appropriatley when I was concerned about the time, I didn't mention the choking to her because I didn't notice it being such a trend after 1 week. Pretty much everytime we sit down to feed (varies 1.5 hours-3 hours apart) he chokes. I am concerned 1, that he isn't getting to my fatty hind milk, and 2 I'm nervous about public feeding, with the leaky breasts, him choking, and trying to maneuver all of this while staying covered (I'm a bit modest)

Not only is he choking, but I notice in between every feeding, he is super gassy, and fussy. He spits up almost immediatley after eating, and I end up giving him Gripe Water (Natural colic/gas relief) because I don't want to over infuse him with the Mylecon. (sp?)

So if any of you have any information on Overactive let down, this is what it seems like to me, I am going to try to feed on the same breast 2 times in a row (in 4 hour intervals) as I have researched and see if this helps with the overproduction of milk.

thanks for your help in advanced
    -Ashley

Default Re: Overactive Let Down?? Too Much Milk??

The best way to judge hindmilk intake is to look at poop. As long as your baby's poops are predominantly yellow or yellowish, your baby is getting plenty of hindmilk. If they are predominantly green or greenish, then you probably do need to block feed and reduce your supply somewhat. Managing oversupply can take a while, but as your supply adjusts all the leaking and choking will diminish and feeding in public will get easier.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes it does sound like you have OALD and the blockfeeding will help like you are planning on doing. I also have OALD and have 3 children, my youngest being 8 weeks old. I generally feed only one breast at a time and this is plenty. He also is a very fast eater... He choked all the time while I was feeding him at first and would stop breathing briefly, like you are experiencing. They get better at handling the flow and now he hardly ever chokes but at 5 weeks did all the time. Amazing how much a period of a few weeks makes with newborns! Gassiness and being fussy can be a symptom of getting too much foremilk but they will also have green frothy poops. My first had this, before I learned how to control my OALD, and it is very obvious.

I completely agree with the PPs. It is so scary when they seem to be choking, but babies are built to handle a fast flow - they don't like to breathe through their noses, but they CAN. And think about it, you can't choke on breastmilk the way you would a bread crust.

And it passes with time. When Joe was a baby, my husband called my breasts "the boob bong," because he would have to gulp so hard to keep up, it was like a frat boy drinking from a beer bong. Hey, you gotta laugh!! But in short order, my flow slowed down a bit, and Joe's capability increased, and now, I think Joe WISHES it came out that strong! That would make his day. So hang in there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks guys! No green or frothy poops, they are yellow and seedy (watery but hear this is normal.) I have been feeding one breast at a time since birth, he always ended up falling asleep before he got to the second breast...

Now I am debating on whether or not I should do the whole feed on the same breast twice or not?? Getting mixed reviews about that. Will this slow down my Milk production? Or should I just continue on what I was doing before (feeding one breast at a sitting?)

Thanks again, you all are great! <3

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*agillman View Post
    Thanks guys! No green or frothy poops, they are yellow and seedy (watery but hear this is normal.) I have been feeding one breast at a time since birth, he always ended up falling asleep before he got to the second breast...

Now I am debating on whether or not I should do the whole feed on the same breast twice or not?? Getting mixed reviews about that. Will this slow down my Milk production? Or should I just continue on what I was doing before (feeding one breast at a sitting?)

Thanks again, you all are great! <3
    If his poops look normal, then you probably don't have a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, and you probably don't need to block feed (although you can continue to feed one side at a time if your baby seems satisfied - I still do that with my two year old!). If the OALD is your primary problem, try nursing while lying back, so that gravity works FOR your baby, rather than against him.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with the PPs. I had an OALD that led to foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but the main symptom we had was that my DS's poop was green, not yellowish. If his poop is yellow, you should be fine with what you're doing.

I wanted to add that side-lying position helped slow my flow for my LO, but it can be difficult to latch in this position.

As he gets older, he'll be able to deal with the OALD better. Hang in there Mama!

Gotcha now it makes since, OALD doesn't necessarily mean imbalance of foremilk/hindmilk this is what I automatically assumed. I will stick to what we know best, and wait for him to become more accoustomed to my speedy let down. This explains why he is only at the breast for such a short amount of time. I have friends that say they are feeding for 25-30 mins at a time, where as I am only feeding from 7-10 mins at a sitting... Thanks again you all!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joey4mom View Post

I wanted to add that side-lying position helped slow my flow for my LO, but it can be difficult to latch in this position.
    TOTALLY AGREE!! - There are some days when I notice my let down is really strong and my LO is super demanding and we head straight to the bed to nurse lying down.

I keep two breast pads close by while nursing. I usually soak through two during the day at each feeding. I usually sing my LO a little song when I take her off to let the milk come out into my breastpads. When we first started she freaked out because it was mid-feeding and of course, she was still hungry, but now, just 3wks later, she responds much for patiently to our song.

It does sucks to see them so frustrated while nursing. My LO is 6wks now and I keep telling myself that this too will pass and know you're not alone. Keep up the good work...sounds like you're doing a great job.
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches