Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting 6 month old used to a bottle before starting daycare

Default Getting 6 month old used to a bottle before starting daycare

My 6month old refuses a bottle most times from DH. I've been pumping and am slowly building a stash to return to work in 3 weeks. I'm really stressed about him not eating from a bottle. His pedi is having us start solids bc he didn't gain any weight during his last check up. I'm worried about him not eating at daycare. We've tried lots of different bottles and his Aunt successfully fed him once. DH isn't having any luck. Any advice? Should DH just keep offering it once a day? I hate to waste the BM when pumping is so hard.

Default Re: Getting 6 month old used to a bottle before starting daycare

I'm sorry you're not having more success with bottles! I would definitely have your DH continue to try once a day, preferably when you are not in range. Baby isn't going to want a bottle when the real deal is right there, YK? I hear you on the wasting milk issue- I would keep the amount in the bottles to an oz or so, and don't be afraid to put it back in the fridge for a few hours if the baby isn't interested. AFAIK, it is safe to do this with breastmilk (though not with formula). Also, keep trying different bottles and nipples, and try a sippy cup or open cup as well. Some babies prefer that approach.

Can you tell us a bit more about your baby's weight gain? Solids generally have fewer calories than breastmilk, so they're not necessarily a good choice when a baby isn't gaining weight, nor is not gaining weight or a lot of weight necessarily of great concern depending on other factors (baby's weight, mobility, general health and growth, etc.).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'm sorry you're not having more success with bottles! I would definitely have your DH continue to try once a day, preferably when you are not in range. Baby isn't going to want a bottle when the real deal is right there, YK? I hear you on the wasting milk issue- I would keep the amount in the bottles to an oz or so, and don't be afraid to put it back in the fridge for a few hours if the baby isn't interested. AFAIK, it is safe to do this with breastmilk (though not with formula). Also, keep trying different bottles and nipples, and try a sippy cup or open cup as well. Some babies prefer that approach.

Can you tell us a bit more about your baby's weight gain? Solids generally have fewer calories than breastmilk, so they're not necessarily a good choice when a baby isn't gaining weight, nor is not gaining weight or a lot of weight necessarily of great concern depending on other factors (baby's weight, mobility, general health and growth, etc.).
    He was only 6lbs at birth and has been in the 8% for weight since then. He had been gaining but between this check-up and his last one a little over a month ago he didn't gain any weight and is stuck at 13.7lbs. I've been feeding on demand every 2hours, sometimes more often. She suggested that adding cereal and then veggies and fruit might help add calories. The rest of his check-up was great! She did say she was concerned he would lose calories if he fights the bottle at daycare.

I don't know that I think much of your pediatrician's advice on diet. Fruits and veggies and cereals- those are low-calorie options compared to breastmilk. I mean, if you wanted to gain a few lbs, what would you eat- a salad and fruit and some white bread, or a milkshake?

Your baby is obviously not a huge kid, but judging by this chart for breastfed baby boys: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html he sure seems like a consistent one! There's nothing wrong with being in the 8th %ile. Healthy kids come in all shapes and sizes. As long as he is being fed on demand, is continuing to gain in height and head circumference, seems happy and healthy, and is meeting his developmental milestones, I doubt that I would be concerned. However, you obviously don't have to worry about producing an obese kid, so why not focus on higher-calorie solids like whole milk yogurt, meats, and beans instead of veggies and fruits? And when you offer fruits and veggies, you can add a drizzle of olive oil to them to increase their calorie content.

A kid being stuck at a given weight for just a month doesn't seem like cause for worry. I mean, growth isn't always perfectly consistent mont to month. Some months a kid will grow equally in all dimensions, some months he'll grow a lot in one dimension and pause in another, and as he gets mobile growth will probably slow overall as he devotes increasing amounts of energy to moving instead of packing his calories on as fat. This is why breastfed babies typically decline In the %iles around 6 months- they are putting their calories into motion. Formula-fed babies, on the other hand, typically increase their weight gain after 6 months- so if your doc is using charts based on data collected on formula-fed babies, it's likely that your baby will look "too skinny" instead of just right!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you are going to give him solids, I would go with bananas, avacodos, sweet potatoes, meats, and beans. The more calorie dense stuff.

I am sorry you are having problems with the bottle. I don't have any advice there, just hugs.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I don't know that I think much of your pediatrician's advice on diet. Fruits and veggies and cereals- those are low-calorie options compared to breastmilk. I mean, if you wanted to gain a few lbs, what would you eat- a salad and fruit and some white bread, or a milkshake?

Your baby is obviously not a huge kid, but judging by this chart for breastfed baby boys: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html he sure seems like a consistent one! There's nothing wrong with being in the 8th %ile. Healthy kids come in all shapes and sizes. As long as he is being fed on demand, is continuing to gain in height and head circumference, seems happy and healthy, and is meeting his developmental milestones, I doubt that I would be concerned. However, you obviously don't have to worry about producing an obese kid, so why not focus on higher-calorie solids like whole milk yogurt, meats, and beans instead of veggies and fruits? And when you offer fruits and veggies, you can add a drizzle of olive oil to them to increase their calorie content.

A kid being stuck at a given weight for just a month doesn't seem like cause for worry. I mean, growth isn't always perfectly consistent mont to month. Some months a kid will grow equally in all dimensions, some months he'll grow a lot in one dimension and pause in another, and as he gets mobile growth will probably slow overall as he devotes increasing amounts of energy to moving instead of packing his calories on as fat. This is why breastfed babies typically decline In the %iles around 6 months- they are putting their calories into motion. Formula-fed babies, on the other hand, typically increase their weight gain after 6 months- so if your doc is using charts based on data collected on formula-fed babies, it's likely that your baby will look "too skinny" instead of just right!
    Thank you so much! It really makes me feel better when you put it in perspective like that. I admit I don't know much about introducing solids as far as dos and don't. All I know is that I'm suppose to introduce one thing at a time to rule out allergies and such. I guess I have some reading up to do. He did eat some sweet potatoes with whole grain rice cereal today and actually seemed to enjoy it! That's a start!

About the bottle thing...did you try playtex drop ins with the natural latch latex nipple yet? I tried about 4 others, before finding this one and it worked.

I also realized too that my LO wouldn't accept a bottle as I had a lipase issue. Something worth checking maybe? For me my milk gets a real soapy taste if frozen or in the fridge for more than a day. I have to scald my milk before freezing.

Just keep trying different approaches, I was exactly where you are now a few months ago with my LO not taking a bottle and I was so worried BUT now she takes a bottle fine. Try sippy cups as well too.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!