Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I sleep on my tummy?

Default Can I sleep on my tummy?

Hi Mama's
    I tried searching for a answer but everything that came up was for baby sleeping on it's tummy......I want to know if I sleep on my tummy will it affect my supply?
    I have always been a tummy sleeper. At first with LO was younger he is 11m now I couldn't it was to uncomfortable but now it feels fine but I still don't allow myself to fall asleep that way but sometimes I wake up on my tummy.
    I read once some where that sleeping on your tummy is equivalent to binding your breast and is the quickest way to decrease milk. I don't remember that source.
    Do any of you sleep on your tummy's and have a normal supply?
    My breast never feel full anymore (must be why it doesn't hurt to wake up on them anymore) but I always have letdowns when he nurses. And he always seems satisfied and he has always only nursed from 1 breast at a time. I haven't noticed a decrease.

I'd fall asleep so much faster if I would allow myself to assume my tummy sleep position.

Default Re: Can I sleep on my tummy?

I'm not sure how sleeping on your tummy will affect your supply, but I would just be careful as you may be more prone to plugged ducts, mastitis, and other issues. I hope you get a more precise answer. I am just now getting over mastitis and I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

As long as your baby seems satisfied and continues to have the right number of wet diapers, I wouldn't worry about tummy sleeping. It can put you at greater risk for coming down with plugged ducts, and could affect your supply, but I think at 11 months you should just go ahead and try it. If you start getting a lot of plugs or feel like your baby isn't getting enough milk, then go back to sleeping on your back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh thanks ladies.

I didn't even think about plugged ducts!
    no problems so far so I think I will give it a shot without guilt/worrying now.

I use sleeping on my tummy as one way to manage my oversupply, especially once my kids started sleeping through the night
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos