Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Weaning

Default Pump Weaning

Hi All - I made it a year! I've been pumping at work twice a day since I returned to work in Sept. I want to pump wean, but have some questions:

1) I've read that some moms have done this and still been able to nurse their LO mornings/nights and even weekends. I guess I just need some reassurance on that as I'm afraid I'll lose my supply totally and am not ready to stop nursing him, just want to stop pumping at work.

2) How should I go about pump weaning? Right now I usually pump at 10 and 1:30. Should I gradually move each session by a half an hour or something until I'm out the door and on my way home with no pumping

3) For those of you that did pump wean, what did you do for your LO during the day? Did you give cows milk in a bottle/sippy? Right now I am mixing half BM and half cows milk in his bottle until he's used to the cows milk and then I think I'll try to switch those over to sippy cups. He drinks water from his sippy really well, and I tried some plain milk last week while I was on vacation to see how he did and he did okay, but not great. I never thought to warm it up though, maybe he didn't like it cold? I'm just not sure how to handle his current bottles if I stop pumping.

Thanks for any advice/help! I get so overwhelmed and confused with this mommy thing at times and don't know what I would do without this forum
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

Default Re: Pump Weaning

I pump weaned when my DD was 14 months. We are weaning now and she's 3. So YES, you can pump wean and still nurse! Your body will adjust to it. I was pumping 2x per day and I started by getting rid of one session one week. Then the next week dropped the other one. I felt fine, no problems. See how it goes and make adjustments that way. If you get too full you can just pump a little bit too, maybe cut your sessions in half.
    We didn't do a switch to cows milk or anything like that. Just gave solids and water in a cup. She was still nursing plenty when I was with her. As long as it's 3-4 x per day you don't Have to intro other milks.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Congrats mama!

I remember dropping the first pumping session for the first week, then the second and finally the last (I pumped 3x/day). You can certainly do it your way if that works better for you and pump if you get uncomfortable. During the day my LO had rice milk (didn't like cow's milk), yogurt and other solids.

Even before I pump weaned, we still nursed all weekend and whenever we were together. I had no issues with supply but did notice a slight dip when AF was around.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

thanks for the replies already! I love this forum I just worry sometimes too, like today, he woke up at 4:30 am to nurse but was still sleeping when I left for work at 7 so I missed the 2nd normal morning session before work. I hope if his schedule's changing it doesn't hurt my supply too much! I usually nurse before bed, at least once during the night (between 2 & 4 am usually) and then between 6:30 and 7:15 am before I leave for work. Then sometimes when I get home at 4. However, this week I'm working longer hours, until 4:45 so hope that doesn't mess too much up! I've read that some moms skip cows milk altogether as long as nursing still 3+ times. He drinks water well (sometimes juice, but diluted) and loves yogurt so I figure that counts. I guess if I'm only nursing twice somedays, maybe I'll offer a little cow milk those times just to cover

Thanks again SO much!
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

I too pump weaned at 14 months and we continued to nurse until about a month before my son's third birthday so it's definately doable

for me I just cut one session at a time per week and when I got the part where I wanted to drop the last session I still carried my pump to work for abput a month (just in case) for us my son just drank water at the sitters house and every once in a while i would give him a glass of cows milk when he asked for it but I dod not replace his feedings with cows milk just solids and water.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I would go ahead and get rid of the bottle. He can have your milk in a sippy.

Yay for pumping this long!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I pump weaned around a year, and Joe is still nursing at over two years now. I cut down to one pumping a day, and then moved that pumping later and later, as work allowed, until I could hold off until I got home. Some women shorten their pumpings every day, I found pushing it later to work better for me. Each day, I waited until my breasts felt "full" but not painfully so, to pump.

Joe takes cow's milk during the day now. He really likes it. We're only now weaning him off the bottle - I didn't feel right taking that source of comfort away from him, as he loves his bottle, though not as much as mama's milkies.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't have much to add, just wanted to agree with pp's. with my older DD, I stopped pumping at 1 yr. She still nursed when I was around untill she was 2.5 or so. I do have to say that when we ran out of bm for the bottle ( about a week or so after stopping pumping) she stopped taking naps for dad. We didn't try cows milk or water in a bottle though!
    Way to go mama!