Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply???

Default Milk supply???

My 7 month old girl is now sleeping through the night, about an 8-9 hour stretch. I would get up every night about 2:30 to pump to keep up my supply and to have milk stored for days that I work. I now have about 70oz. pumped and my daughter is not requiring as much milk anymore and I have an over abundance supply of milk. I am worried that if I eliminate the night pumping my milk supply will diminish and she will not have enough. I have heard that my body will readjust and she will have the milk whenever she needs it. Can someone please help as I am not sure what to do.

Default Re: Milk supply???

If you don't need the milk I would stop pumping. At 7 months your supply will adjust to match your needs when you need it. So if baby is sleeping at night and not nursing your body will make less milk at night, but continue to provide plenty during the day. And if baby suddenly starts nursing again at night because of teething, illness, growth spurt or whatever else your body will respond and start making milk at night again.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you....I've heard diiferent things and not sure what to really believe...I did ask my ped and he said it shouldn't diminish either. It's amazing what the body is capible of!

Yep, step away from the pump. Your body will adjust.

I would recommend wearing a tightish tank or sports bra if you have problems w/ leaking. Congrats on the sleep!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I love this place I am so thankful to God that I found la liga de la leche... My LO is almost 4 month and she is already sleeping 10 to 11 hours and I was worry about my milk production, but no anymore... Thanks to all the mamis.phew!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shecid View Post
    I love this place I am so thankful to God that I found la liga de la leche... My LO is almost 4 month and she is already sleeping 10 to 11 hours and I was worry about my milk production, but no anymore... Thanks to all the mamis.phew!!!
    You will probably be fine, but at only 4 months I would just watch carefully for any signs of supply dropping. Keep an eye on how many wet diapers baby has. 5-6 per day and you are doing just fine.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous