Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help Please!!!

Default Help Please!!!

Hi! I am in need of some help. I have been exclusively pumping for my five month old for the past four months due to latch issues. Last week I went to a wedding in far west Texas. It is extremely dry there. The first night I arrived I noticed that my areola was starting to get chaffed. As the week went on, my areolas started to become more and more red and dry. It never was painful to pump unless I didn't lubricate myself with my Mother love Nipple cream.

On Friday I called my doctor's office because my nipples were looking worse. I wasn't able to get an appointment until tomorrow but they called me in a prescription for Nystation as they thought I may have thrush.

I have been applying the Nystatin for the past two days but it seems to be making the situation worse. I now have cracks in the areolas and I have pain when I pump-which I think is from my nipples being so dried out. My nipples dont hurt when I touch them.

Can this really be thrush or something else? My areolas are like fire engine red. They look terrible but they don't hurt??

Default Re: Help Please!!!

i have heard that yeast / thrush initially does get worse when treated and then improves. there is great information concerning thrush on this website . At the top of this Page select the RESOURCES tab.
    Good luck and your baby is lucky to have you as his mom. You can also try hand expressing your milk into a clean container to prevent the flange from the pump irritating your nipples.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Whoa, sounds like textbook thrush to me. Cracks on the areolas, red nipples, extreme pain after months of trouble-free experience... If things do not improve with the Nystatin, I would a) go see the doc again, b) make sure this isn't a bacterial rather than a fungal infection, c) if it's not bacterial, request something other than Nystatin (like Diclufan), and d) sterilize your pump and anything that comes in contact w/ your breasts (towels, bras, creams, etc.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Whoa, sounds like textbook thrush to me. Cracks on the areolas, red nipples, extreme pain after months of trouble-free experience... If things do not improve with the Nystatin, I would a) go see the doc again, b) make sure this isn't a bacterial rather than a fungal infection, c) if it's not bacterial, request something other than Nystatin (like Diclufan), and d) sterilize your pump and anything that comes in contact w/ your breasts (towels, bras, creams, etc.)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with mommal. I had a nasty case of thrush and ended up with Dyflucan as well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language