Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time

Default Time

How do you find time to pump - to get ready to go back to work - when LO won't let you put him down during the day (when you're alone together) and when LO cluster feeds at night (when there is actually help around)?

Default Re: Time

Most moms find that pumping to build a freezer stash goes faster when they pump in the morning, either by getting up before baby does and pumping or pumping after baby has settled down for the morning; most babies are kind of happy for at least a little while in the morning. Supply is lower at night -- which is why baby is cluster feeding anyway -- so pumping at night might not be terribly effective.

Some moms also pump at the same time they nurse.

And bear in mind you don't need a huge stash to go back to work. Most moms just need enough to get them started for the first few days while they settle into their routine and then pump the next day's feedings at work, saving Friday's pumpings for Monday. Does that make sense? And does that make you feel better?

Most BF babies only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour that you are apart, so it's not even all that much.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thanks - it makes sense but
    so far my baby has been waking up at 530 and then maybe going back to sleep til 730. i did pump once then (between 530 feed and 730 feed), but i'm still too exhausted to give up any extra sleep.
    my mornings usually involve feeding him & then can only get him to sleep by holding him or taking him on a walk. If I try to put him down, he tends to wake up within a few minutes (I can get him down at night, just not during the day. If it's light, he won't stand for it!)
    I haven't even been able to master multi-tasking while pumping, let alone nursing & pumping (we tried it a few days ago & it was a mess). - we are also using a shield so that's one more thing to deal with.

Does he wake up happy at 7:30ish? If so, pump then. I let my baby hang out and talk to himself while I sit and pump next to him. If he needs me, I'm right there.

I get the sleep thing. I'm EPing. I've never been so tired in my entire life...and I survived veterinary school!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Lately, I have been pumping after the middle-of-the-night feeding.... assuming he goes to sleep right away. I find that I get the most milk then, and it doesn't interfere with DS's life. It only interferes with my sleeping...

I agree w/ the PPs though - one day extra of milk should be okay. I only worry about the next day when I am pumping. I'm never more ahead than that. So far, it's been working out just fine.

No, he wakes up hungry.
    He's rather inconsistent...sometimes he'll be ok being put down if he has hiccups, but it might only last for 2 minutes.
    Sometimes I can get him down for a nap during the day, but there's no guarantee he'll stay asleep like he does at night (even though he would sleep for a long time if I were holding him).
    He has not yet been content to just sit there next to me... ok, unless he's on his changing table, he's happiest there, but I can't leave him there!

I'm hoping that now that his 6 week growth spurt is coming to a close we can get somewhere -- he was starting to do a tiny bit better with stuff until that hit last week.

Fortunately my job is very flexible and I can even bring him with me, but it's really hard to get anything done & I'm feeling more pressure to start being there more often & to get more done.

Sounds like you just might have to sacrifice a half hour of sleep in the early morning for a few mornings to build up a stash.
    Susan

I built up my entire stash with a hand pump, which I used mostly in the shower.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sfootloser View Post
    can only get him to sleep by holding him or taking him on a walk. If I try to put him down, he tends to wake up within a few minutes (I can get him down at night, just not during the day. If it's light, he won't stand for it!)
    I haven't even been able to master multi-tasking while pumping
    My baby was/is very high need similar to what you describe but she is now 12 weeks and it is MUCH better. Pumping at home alone with her was tough, but like you I was not willing to sacrifice sleep to pump. I would pump right after one of her feedings in the "morning" (really around 10 or 11 am) while I bounced her feverishly in the bouncer. I use a hands free pumping bra (Simple Wishes) which I highly recommend. Have you found any "tricks" that will get your LO to be quiet and relatively content for a period of 10 or so minutes while you pump? Like I said my LO will usually be quiet for short periods of time if she is bounced with my foot in a bouncer. Other people I know like to use a swing - or maybe you can catch her during a mini-nap post feeding? Even if you pump very little at first after a period of a week or so it will increase your supply at that time and you will begin pumping more after a while.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to do a morning pumping session! I know you said your LO cluster feeds at night. Just do a pump session after one of his early feeding sessions after your SO gets home to watch him. Don't worry that there won't be enough milk - I was so hung up on this idea. I would usually sneak in a pump session in the evening like this even though my LO cluster fed and she was no fussier when I pumped than when I didn't. (She was fussy either way!)

I had lots of anxiety regarding starting to pump either worrying that LO was mad that I was not paying attention to her in the AM or that I was stealing her food in the PM. I did it daily at least once anyway and now I have 5-10 oz extra daily.
    Tamara -
    Mom to Lydia born 2/28/11

My LO was also very needy during the day, I would be glued to her all day for only a few minute break in between holding her, laying her down, soothing her, etc. I returned our MamaRoo and purchased a swing and a Miracle Wrap (swaddle) and now I have an actual schedule of Nursing (20 min), Active time (20-30 min or until she starts yawning), then nap time (1 1/2 - 2 hours). If you cannot get her to lay down in swing the you should buy a sling and start to wear her...will help with your sanity. Good luck.