Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nibbles and night time feeding questions...

Default nibbles and night time feeding questions...

Hi there, this is my first post. I've really enjoyed reading posts on this site, comforts me to know that other women are going through/experiencing the same things.

My son Owen is 3 weeks and 4 days, not worried about his weight 11 lbs already, and diapers and feeding are going well, just curious about this nibbleing he has been doing, he eats , sucking rhythmically and then it tapers off into nibbles while he's falling asleep, but he keeps nibbbling for a long long time and if I try to pull him away, he wakes up and sucks hard again. Is he actually getting milk while he is doing the nibbles? or is it more of a comfort thing?

Next question is about night time feeding, we are co-sleeping..only way we can get some rest, wake up about 3 times during night to feed him (lying down)
    My question is..should I maybe go and sit down on the sofa and try to feed him, would he get more milk that way if it was a more thorough feeding?
    and perhaps sleep longer?

And would you say when he is pulling himself off and grunting that he might want to switch to the next boob???
    he's doing it right now!!! i'm going to try switching
    thanks mum's!!!

Default Re: nibbles and night time feeding questions...

My 4 week old nibbles too...try compressing your breast,that will get the milk flowing again and encourage him to suck again.
    I sometimes nurse in bed...have no idea how well it goes because I always fall asleep! But I usually do go down to the sofa, so I can watch tv and stay awake When we go downstairs, I only have to get up twice with him, and the 2nd time is usually between 5:30 and 6:30, which is really the morning. My DS pulls off while grunting too and I've always thought it's because he's trying to have a bm or pass gas. In any case I usually put him back on the same breast, because it's usually only been a few minutes of sucking and I want to make sure he's emptying the breast and getting the hind milk. If he continues to fuss and cry at that breast, I offer the other one and if he takes it I know he emptied the first one. Sometimes pulling off and fussing just means he's not latched on quite right, and sometimes it means the flow is too fast for him to handle...you'll know it's that if milk is squirtung out of your breast or dribbling out of his mouth. It's really trial and error at this point. Your doing great though according to his weight gain and diapers, so keep up the good work

Yes, the nibbling is comfort sucking, but they also get some of the high fat hind milk. You said you try to pull him away--are you breaking his latch first with your finger? Sometimes when DS does this I can get him off, sometimes I leave him on, and sometimes I give him my finger if I've had enough of the comfort sucking and he hasn't. He usually only takes a few sucks, notices that it's not the nipple, and just goes to sleep.

I have been nursing at night for 9 months now, and I sat up for the first 7 months and now lie down, and I haven't noticed any difference in his habits or the amount of time he sleeps. I'd say stay in bed and get the extra rest.

Thanks for your replys..
    Just thinking about the nighttime feedings..I start off on one side and we/or I at least fall asleep pretty quickly so, not sure how long he is feeding, but what happens, is next time he wakes up I roll over and do the next breast, because i HAVE to take a break from lying on the one side. So maybe what I'm realizing is that he isn't getting enough fat from the side I started first. Guess thats why I was thinking, making the effort to get up and do a full effort feeding might get him more satisfied! (probably answered my own question there)
    during the day, I am do feed him for a long time on the breast to try and make sure he gets the fat, if its a shorter feeding, i'll start him on that same breast next time.

Do I have to put my finger in his mouth? (to break suction) have just been kindof prying his lip down to break it.
    Also has anyone experienced really sore wrists? this only showed up after birth, could it just be the positions my hands are in with the little fella?
    they are really sore during the night. don't seem to be getting any better either...

I just wanted to make sure you weren't just pulling him off w/o breaking suction (ouch!) I don't think there's any specific way it needs to be done, but if you are waking him up with what you are doing, you might want to try something different.