Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: distractable baby

Default distractable baby

My ds is 4 months old and I know it is very typical for babies this age to get distracted while nursing. He is very distracted by sounds and people talking. I have a nursing cover, but it doesn't block out the different sounds. I would love to take him to a BFing support group tomorrow, but I'm afraid he will completely skip a feeding if I do. Is there a way to help him focus on eating or should I just not go?

Default Re: distractable baby

How will you get there? Could you nurse him in the car right before you go in? Or right when it ends? Does it really matter if he skips that feeding and nurses at a different time? I don't even know when to expect my baby to nurse. If she doesn't nurse when others are around, I figure she'll make up for it later.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How will you get there? Could you nurse him in the car right before you go in? Or right when it ends? Does it really matter if he skips that feeding and nurses at a different time? I don't even know when to expect my baby to nurse. If she doesn't nurse when others are around, I figure she'll make up for it later.
    I will be driving there. If he is hungry, I will certainly feed him before we get there! He tends to eat every 2-3 hours, I don't know if he'll actually be hungry during the meeting or not, I guess it's not a big deal if he decides to look around and eats later...Maybe I worry too much!

dont worry, there ARE some instances where if the babys hungry enough he'll eat. my daughter is very distractable. she'd start nursing and some invisible dust artical says HELLO THERE and she turns her head. very painful especcially when it happens mid suck >_<

anyways, do the nursing in the car, and try not to worry about it too much
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

When my baby started getting distracted at that age, I gave him something to hold or let him play with a necklace. (You can find nursing necklaces for sale or make your own.) Even today my older child was playing with something he wanted, and she gave it to him (she can be amazingly nice to him, sometimes!). He just sat in my lap and nursed while looking with fascination at a wooden shape. Wow!
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

In situations like this, I usually try nursing in the car before going in, even if I don't think my daughter is super hungry. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If your son isn't into it, and he won't nurse during the group, it's not the end of the world at 4 months. Just try nursing in the car again when you leave or wait until you get home
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

My DD is the same at the LLL meetings I attend. I try in the car before we go in and she she starts fussing during the meeting I will try to nurse her and she just pops on and off the boob while all the other kids quietly nurse away! She's a snoopy little rascal! I agree with the PPs, try in the car and if not he'll make up for it whe you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovemyzach View Post
    I will be driving there. If he is hungry, I will certainly feed him before we get there! He tends to eat every 2-3 hours, I don't know if he'll actually be hungry during the meeting or not, I guess it's not a big deal if he decides to look around and eats later...Maybe I worry too much!
    I'm going through the exact same thing with my 4 1/2 old DS. Like you I worry too much too...lol.
    great tips on this thread! I do definitely notice that he makes up for it later if he's had a couple "short" or very distracting feedings.

Thanks everyone! For this particular situation, DS happily nursed right before the group. I will have to try a nursing necklace or something else for him to hold while he nurses. I'm starting to notice even at home he'll act hungry, then as soon as I offer something else will catch his eye and he loses interest! Today, I let him play with the toy that caught his eye and just offered again when he got tired of the toy.