Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What would cause a baby's suck to be weak

Question What would cause a baby's suck to be weak

if tongue-tie and a drug-free birth are not an issue?
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

Default Re: What would cause a baby's suck to be weak

just being new to it, need time to learn how, to develop muscles

mom needs time to learn too, once she gets better she can encourage the baby to latch better, do compressions, keep baby awake etc

small mouth when they are so little

how old?

Also- poor suck/swallow coordination, a recessed jaw, a cleft palate, sleepiness...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Issues like Down Syndrome or oth chromosomal issues. May I ask why you are asking.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'd be curious too, I've experienced this for a couple days last week and today a bit. I have lots of overactive letdown and oversupply though so I think her latch is kind of being affected by that though as things change for me. I'm trying to balance it out and I think my physical changes may be affecting her?

My second had a "disorganized suck" -- couldn't coordinate sucking and swallowing. He also had a somewhat small mouth and somewhat recessed chin. One of the bigger issues, though, seemed to be that his parietal bones (sides of the skull) continued to overlap his forehead well after birth. We started taking him to a chiropractor at about eight weeks, and she massaged his head and showed me how to do so. We actually saw dramatic improvements in his sucking after just one visit. It was remarkable (and quite surprising to me--I hadn't known why I was going, but the LC said my son's problems were too big for her and recommended it.) He had no tongue tie, and his birth was drug free, full-term. There can certainly be lots of other reasons, but that was our personal experience with the matter.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I had problems with my LO's sucking in the beginning. I believe i was producing enough but his weak suck didnt make milk removal easy. My midwife/LC suggested i start pumping and supplementing via SNS by the time he was 3 months due weight loss. He is 11 months now and is doing great. I'm asking because i DON'T want to go through this again, including all these months of pumping. He takes the boob much better now and his sucking has improved. Till this day i dont know what or who caused all this: me? the baby? do i have PCOS? would my previous anemia have to do anything with it (if i still have it)? poor latch? Insufficient Mammary gland? Hypoplastic breasts? Losing a lot of blood after birth? His sleepiness when he was a newborn? I've tried to figure it out but i could go crazy in doing so. I just want info and if i have another one, i'll do some tests to make sure if there's something wrong with me.
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

I recently met someone who had a submucosal cleft palate, which isn't visible on examination, and that was why he never thrived when his mom BF him. Might not be you.

I've worked with several moms with hypoplastic breasts, and they never made enough.

Some babies have weak sucks. For all the reasons listed by PP. it probably wasn't you. The things you listed don't cause baby to have a weak suck, other than being sleepy; they more impact your supply.

But a baby with a weak suck would impact supply because they don't remove enough milk to stimulate supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!