Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples vs thrush?

Default Sore nipples vs thrush?

My nipples have been very sore lately. Not sure if it's cause he has been eating more often or possibly thrush. They hurt when he first latches on but then after a min or two they stop hurting. They are sore also when I am not feeding him. Just wondering if this is normal for bf or possibly thrush. He is very gassy and that is my only concern if it is thrush. Any home remedies I could try to relieve sore nipples and try to see if that helps to rule out thrush?

Default Re: Sore nipples vs thrush?

How old is your baby? And is the pain new, or has it been there all along?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby is almost four weeks old and I cant remember if it has been like this since the beginning. Lol I know it sounds crazy but I remember one of the first times I pumped is when it really started. Maybe I had the suction too strong?

I don't have any experience (thankfully) with thrush, but 10 months of experience with sore nipples. Some treatment ideas: most importantly, evaluate latch, making sure DS is opening as wide as he can before latching. Tiny mouth= open wide. Some people report success treating with used tea bags. I think you put them in your bra (maybe with a nursing pad to control the mess) for a while and the tannins are supposed to help. You could look into breast shells, but I would only recommend using them if you have actual nipple damage, as they can lead to other problems. There is APNO (all purpose nipple ointment), which is a prescription you can get. Check out http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP for more info. The OTC version you can mix yourself has actually been really helpful for me, but I wouldn't go there unless you've tried other options (for me, medicine is not the first option, just IMO.) You could try using lanolin after feeds (though this never helped me one bit ), which does not need to be removed before the next feed. Also, make sure you are letting your nipples air-dry, rather than stuffing them back into your bra still wet.

Many people find that the initial soreness in the first few weeks will go away on its own. You are using a part of your body that has seen relatively little action up until now. It's best to take precautions, such as checking on latch, but this could also resolve itself.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*true2him17 View Post
    My baby is almost four weeks old and I cant remember if it has been like this since the beginning. Lol I know it sounds crazy but I remember one of the first times I pumped is when it really started. Maybe I had the suction too strong?
    Pumping always made my nipples sore (and I EPed for over a year, so I experienced it a lot). I would definitely want to look into whether you are using the proper size flanges.

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

Turning up the suction too high can also cause problems. You really want it only high enough to get the milk out effectively. (For me, it took having it too high on one side to get the milk out of the other, so that's easier said that done in my experience).

Are you pumping at all regularly, or do you think the soreness could be just from nursing?
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)