Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to Work next week and I am panicked!

Default Returning to Work next week and I am panicked!

I have been off now for 6 months, I was due to return to my job this month and found out last month I lost my job. I was very bummed, but today I just found another job. I had a nanny lined up before, but when I lost my old job we couldn't keep her as we weren't sure how long it would take to find a new job - I never thought it would happen this quickly. So now I have a new job and I am completely PANICKED!! I have only a week to prepare!! This is impossible right? I mean I have to find a nanny, train her, get LO adjusted to a new person and bottles during the day, start a whole new job, ask them for a place to pump (no laws for BF mothers here either) and oh did I mention LO is not STTN? OMG I am freaking out!!

Where do I start? I will be working about a 20-25 min drive away from home, we will move within the next few months so I can be closer to work. I will leave around 7:45 and get home around 5:30. I am hoping to be able to come home during my lunch break to nurse LO, cram in a quick lunch and then go back. If I nurse LO around 7:30 and nurse her again around 12:30, return from work at 5:30 how many pumping session do I need? Generally when I pump I get around 2.5-3 oz per side. We just started BLW and are going really slow as LO has had some food sensitivities. I think I can get a 1 hr lunch break and two 15 min breaks..is this enough?

I have a lipase issue too, my milk tastes soapy after refridgeration for an extended period (not sure how long) or if it's frozen. How do I manage this pumping and storing? Can you scald milk by microwaving briefly?

Also anyone else out there starting a whole new job? How did you ask for a place to pump? We don't have any laws here and I find this quite awkward. Does one just go through HR?

LO seems to be going through some sleep changes she was only waking once to feed and now it's like 3-4 times a night. I have tried to cosleep again with her, but since she was 4 MO she has been restless cosleeping. How do I manage this major sleep deprivation whilst starting a new job? Is the only answer just to go to sleep when LO does? My routine would then be: wake up at 6 with LO, go to work at 7:45 come home at 5:30, bed at 7:30 and repeat. That just seems crazy hard?

Super Moms out there, how do you all do this? I am trying so hard not to freak out!
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Default Re: Returning to Work next week and I am panicked!

dear mamma,
    Please don't panic. You can do this. Your LO is old enough now to adjust to a fun upbeat caregiver.
    You will find time during the week to pump.
    you can heat your milk just below a boil to inactivate the lipase. The milk that you pump at work can be refridgeorated and when you get home have the caregiver heat it to a scald and then let it slightly cool, put it in storage bags and place in freezer while you unwind/nurse.
    your caregiver can feed your baby yummy solids like sweet potatoes, bananas , avocado and then move on to a protein like chicken or meat.
    you can be pleasantly confident at work and find a clean place to pump.
    you can be the trailblazer for future new moms.
    If my sister can do it you can too!!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

thanks, I was seriously freaking out. I managed to find a great nanny over the weekend! She has 13+ experience as a nanny & childcare, a degree in child care education, cpr/firstaid certified and is a mother of 3 and she BF all here children. It's huge weight lifted, she will probably start training with me in a few days.

I also think I figured out my lipase issue, I put my milk in the very back of the fridge and it seems to be OK. As we are moving closer to my work sept 1, I think I can get down to two pumps/day and two bottles a day if I do the following:

6 am nurse and nurse again at 7:30 before I leave for work (or pump if she won't nurse)
    9:30 am bottle (I pump)
    noon nurse
    3 pm bottle (I pump)
    5:30 nurse

does this sound like a good plan?
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Take a deep breath! Where do you live that there aren't any pumping laws? I'm assuming outside the states? This is totally doable.
    I think your pumping scheudle sounds good. 15 minutes might be cutting it a little close, but I'd suggest keeping the pump parts in your cooler/fridge between sessions, then you won't need the time to wash them. The only thing I'd suggest considering is pumping on one side and nursing on the other at the am and lunch session. that way you might be able to scald the milk and build up a little bit of a stash. For me, having some milk frozen and stashed is a big stress reducer!
    LO will probably adjust quickly to the sitter, sounds like you found a great one! Sounds like your getting it under control.

It seems so daunting at first, but you will adjust and so will your LO! As far as asking for a place to pump, I would just be very matter-of-fact about it. I would say to your boss (or your HR person, if you are uncomfortable with that), "I am still breastfeeding my six month old. Is there a private place where I could pump milk a couple times a day?" Act like there is nothing strange about this request, and the person you are talking to is more likely to think there is nothing strange about it, either. The truth is, most of the laws to protect pumping aren't that great anyway, and should only be cited as a last resort. If it doesn't affect your work, and if you're flexible about the arrangements, I think most bosses really don't care! Good luck!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

hi all, I am in the caribbean and no we don't have any laws here for BF mothers sadly- at least none I can find reference to. I love to get some BF advocacy going here! And a LLL too, we need that most of all. Heavens know I have been BF in public everywhere here....without any covers now either. I am finding people here actually really tolerant...so I think we just need some legislation now.

I will ask HR and make it clear NOT THE BATHROOM!! It seems like an open office scheme there so meeting rooms are probably in great demand, I am hoping they have an infirmary.

Working right now to build my stash....I think I have 15, 3oz bags so far. I am pumping after nursing sessions and just getting 1 ounce or so, but I know I am putting in the order!
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It seems so daunting at first, but you will adjust and so will your LO! As far as asking for a place to pump, I would just be very matter-of-fact about it. I would say to your boss (or your HR person, if you are uncomfortable with that), "I am still breastfeeding my six month old. Is there a private place where I could pump milk a couple times a day?" Act like there is nothing strange about this request, and the person you are talking to is more likely to think there is nothing strange about it, either. The truth is, most of the laws to protect pumping aren't that great anyway, and should only be cited as a last resort. If it doesn't affect your work, and if you're flexible about the arrangements, I think most bosses really don't care! Good luck!
    , except I would say "Where is there a private place" not "Is there a private place"; but then again, I'm pretty pushy
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    , except I would say "Where is there a private place" not "Is there a private place"; but then again, I'm pretty pushy
    Good point. Just assume they will provide one, as though any reasonable human being would (and they would), and your listener will be more likely to see this as a no-brainer.

Really, I think the fact that we need legislation in the US just says loads about how UNSUPPORTED breastfeeding is in many communities here. In a country where breastfeeding is common and accepted, legislation is not necessary.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Just to update I have been training my new nanny since Tuesday. She is fabulous! I actually ended up not hiring the one with all the experience as she didn't produce references for me. I hired the younger one with about 4 yrs experience, she had shining references. Yesterday I was out running errands and came in to see her reading to LO and before she left yesterday she didn't know I was watching and she picked up LO and just held her hugging her before she left. I think LO is in good hands

I am still waiting back to hear from HR on my pumping spot, there may be another mother in the office pumping so they are going to see what she is doing. If they don't find something for me by Monday, I guess I will just pop out to my car.

I have been pumping lots this last few days, trying to build up my stash...I got an extra 6 ounces yesterday for the freezer. That's good right?? I started just pumping after LO nursed, I only got 1-2 ounces at first, but now I am doing massage and breast compressions and can get another 3 or so after she has nursed. I am probably double pumping for around 8 mins, then single pumping with massage and following up with hand compressions. It's taking me about 15 mins total, so I will have to be super speedy with getting ready and storage. I am glad I finally learned how to do hand expression! The Marmet technique is great, all nursing moms should learn this.

I was worried this pumping at work thing would have to go on for ages, but another 6-8 months or so from what I gather most moms pump wean around 1 yr - so that is doable. I am moving close to work so I always plan on coming home for lunch too. LO is really taking to solids too, we are doing BLW and already she is eating quite a bit. We will take it slow of course, but I can't believe we are already technically on the path to weaning.

It's been a whirlwind week and I am finally feeling ready to return to work! Thanks everyone for your support.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!