Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for a friend with a 4 day old

Default Help for a friend with a 4 day old

My friend gave birth via induction and emergency c-section at 39 wks on Tuesday. During her pregnancy she expressed a wish to breastfeed and asked for advice and resources. I told her about this forum and several other sites I regularly visit. Today I came home to this message on my facebook.
    "So unfortunately I am no longer breast feeding. We were doing great and then it was like everyday got worse. She came out sucking her fist so she is a good latcher. Then she wouldn't feed without dozing off it got so bad to where she wasn't even getting dirty diapers "

I told her to start pumping and feeding expressed milk after each attempt at feeding from the breast. If anyone can recommend a good SNS that would be great as i have no experience with them myself. Also if you have any other advice I could pass along it would be greatly appreciated. I really dislike seeing this new mama give up this quickly. I am assuming that her doctors are pressuring her.
    J- Mommy to MJ 5/9/09 for 2 mo until 9mos
    DD 4/23/11 with lots more support and success
    Wife to Dev 4/20/11

Default Re: Help for a friend with a 4 day old

you're a good friend!

i actually don't know that i would suggest the pumping/bottle feeding BEFORE i would suggest trying several things to keep sleepy baby awake to nurse. newborns dozing off at the boob = SUPER common. in fact, i would venture to say that the majority of us here have experienced it to some degree. to get baby to wake up more for feedings, she can try:

undressing baby/changing the diaper
    play some lively music (some upbeat jazz, perhaps?)
    tickling feet/tickling up and down legs, back, etc
    switch sides
    football hold (less "snuggly", not as conducive to sleep)

good luck to your friend. oh, and i would also be curious about the dirty diapers thing.. like, how long did she go without seeing a dirty diaper, and what was the pee-pee diaper count/output like? i'd need to know that before i could say she was correct in assuming that the baby was in some kind of danger from not nursing enough.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

If baby is only 3 days old her milk may not have come in yet though if she is getting the stimulation it will any time now.

For a sleepy baby rule 1 is annoy the baby. Like the pp said undress them, swap sides frequently, tickle their feet...Just stay home with some good videos and doze and nurse all day. Keep your shirt off and baby withing easy access (for a second baby - keep baby in a wrap next to your boobs because the first one won't let you send all day in bed) for at least a week.

Make sure and let her know that baby weight is usually pretty inflated after an induction so they look like they loose a lot even though a lot of it is IV fluids.

And show her the amazing baby stomach size visual
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

with the PPs.

I have heard that a lot of moms prefer the Lact-Aid supplemental system.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I hope your friend doesn't give up!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Thank you all sooooooooo much! She is not giving up! Her milk has not come in yet and nasty nurse had been so mean to her about it. I'm so grateful to your advice and support. As far as why I told her to pump before trying other stuff was because I have no personal experience with a sleepy baby. I just knew that she needed to make sure she was receiving the stimulation for her milk.
    J- Mommy to MJ 5/9/09 for 2 mo until 9mos
    DD 4/23/11 with lots more support and success
    Wife to Dev 4/20/11

Has she gotten to go home yet?
    The more frequently she nurses the baby the quicker her milk will come in. no more than 90 minutes to 2 hours should go between the start of one nursing sessions to the next.
    Some moms who have a rocky start due to being in the hospital are able to relax more and get things going smoothly once they are comfortably settled in at home.

With my first lo, I was feeling very frustrated and unsure. My mil called to check on me and I started crying. She told me that she knew that I could be successful at breastfeeding, that it would get easier and was easier in the long run than formula. But that she would support and love me no matter what I decided to do. Sometimes just being supportive and not offering solutions is all a new mom needs to keep her going.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    Sometimes just being supportive and not offering solutions is all a new mom needs to keep her going.

You're a good friend. Just be there to support her and let her know virtually every BFing mama doubts her abilities at one time or another. Did she talk to the hospital's lactation consultant? Maybe they would have some ideas. I can tell you DD1 was always soooo sleepy, but she still grew well (has always been in 95% for height and had a healthy weight) even when she continuously fell asleep while nursing. Keep in touch with her and let her know you're there to listen/help.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expat-mum View Post
    Wow, I've never seen this, Sarale. How brilliant.
    Totally agree Brooke, great visual aid Sarale!

OP, like Mommal I've also heard that a Lact-Aid is preferred because it requires the baby to make an effort to suck to get milk, whereas an SNS uses gravity drip feeding and no effort is still rewarded with milk. Could be confusing for a brand-new baby transported to an alien world.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?