Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, please explain block feeding for a dummy!

Default Help, please explain block feeding for a dummy!

I have a few questions. My son is struggling to gain weight. First he had tongue tie and then when we got that fixed I flipped into oversupply. Currently I pump the foremilk before he eats. This has helped. But I do pump to give him bottles every third feeding (my husband thinks I am starving him)and I feel like this is actually hindering our progress.
    1st question, is pumping encouraging the over supply? It seems to be getting worse.
    2nd question, if I block feed is this something I need to do until the supply levels off or will I just need to plan on continuing this until he weans? How will I know if my supply has leveled off?
    3rd question, my son is now 14 weeks, should I start block feeding at 3 hours and work my way up? He goes 2-3 hours between feedings during the day but clusterfeeds in the morning and night. Also, should I continue to pump the foremilk every feeding?
    Tia!

Default Re: Help, please explain block feeding for a dummy!

You currently have oversupply? Or overactive letdown? What are you seeing that leads you to the conclusion that you have either too much or too fast? Your son struggling to gain weight has me a little confused.

Pumping can definitely contribute to oversupply, if you are pumping more than just what your son needs. I think my first thought would be to let go of the pumping for a bit and see what your baseline situation actually is and then respond to that, rather than trying to respond to a system that already has some alterations in it. Also, when you say that you pump the foremilk, what are you doing? A lot of people who have overactive letdown will let the baby stimulate a letdown, and then catch it in a cloth before putting baby back to the breast. I *think* that pumping all the way through would tell your body to make even more, versus getting a letdown going and leaving it alone to come out on its own. Hopefully some mamas who actually have pumping experience (which I do not) can jump on here, and we'll get some give-and-take going. Your answers will, I think, be helpful in figuring out what is going on.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

personally i'd ignore your husband. your not starving your LO. he's getting exactly what he needs. you definatly shold wean from the pump, UNLESS you need ti to go back to work,

i used to have OALD and OS cuz i had a rought start. once my milk came in we couldnt latch, so i got a pump and started to pump. built a nice supply for going out things like that. once we fixed the latch problems BAM no more bottles. i then had a super OALD and over supply. (morning supply was SUPER ROCK HARD engoregemnt. i stopped pumping during the day, and ony pumped for 5 minutes to ease off the over engorgement. now i dont need the pump at all
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Sorry, I have been trying to respond all day but couldn't login. I have oversupply. My lc discovered the oversupply. I was working so hard to get my supply up until we got the tongue tie fixed so when that was out of the way and I didn't back off on the things I was doing my supply went through the roof. He didn't really get the green poops consistently but he acts like his tummy hurts and he is getting really fussy and gassy lately. And he really struggles to gain weight. He can eat til he is full and my breast will still feel fairly full. I don't switch back and forth during a feeding. I can pump 3-4 ozs off before I feed him and still he can eat til satisfied. I am not working now so I don't need to pump. I can also pump an ounce or more before my milk turns full white. The first parts come out clear like water. Maybe I have a slow let down. I don't know.
    The pumping off has helped his weight gain, but I am wondering if block feeding would help manage my supply, but it sounds like I just need to stop pumping. Thanks!

Yes blockfeeding will def help your OS... I have OALD as well. I have managed my OS by blockfeeding... That way your lo will be getting more hindmilk to help him gain more weight too!