Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fussiness

Default fussiness

Hello!

Every night from 7-9ish my 6 week old daughter becomes fussy at the breast. She will latch and suck a few times and then start screaming. I will calm her down and she will latch again only to suck a little bit and start screaming again. Any ideas why this is happening or suggestions that I can do??

Thanks

Default Re: fussiness

Sounds pretty normal for a 6 week old. She could be hitting a growth spurt and/or getting frustrated that the flow isn't as fast as she'd like (lots of mothers have their greatest abundance of milk during the morning and day). It could also just be a 6 week old thing

When my daughter had the teeny tiny fussies like that, I found nursing her while in motion (walking around) often helped keep her more calm and focused. Slings can help with this if it wears you out
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    Sounds pretty normal for a 6 week old. She could be hitting a growth spurt and/or getting frustrated that the flow isn't as fast as she'd like (lots of mothers have their greatest abundance of milk during the morning and day). It could also just be a 6 week old thing

When my daughter had the teeny tiny fussies like that, I found nursing her while in motion (walking around) often helped keep her more calm and focused. Slings can help with this if it wears you out
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Both my kid's have done the evening fussy thing. It was like clockwork with both of them. 7 o'clock and they would start getting really cranky. Crying, refusing to nurse, latching and unlatching repeatedly... Every single night from around 3 weeks to around 3 months of age. I think the kids were too hungry to sleep and too tired to eat, or perhaps not really hungry but just cranky from a long day of being a baby. Here's what worked for us:
    - Motion. Rock in a rocker, swing in a swing, stroller ride, car ride, etc.
    - Closeness. Being held in a sling.
    - Fresh air. Being outside was like magic for my kids.
    - Warm water. Try a nightly bath.
    - Bottle. I had to do this with my first due to supply issues, but eventually discovered that one evening bottle of pumped milk would soothe her to sleep. At around 3 months I was able to discontinue using the bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"