Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding:1 hour to feed?

Question Breastfeeding:1 hour to feed?

I'm a new mom and having some problems. Due to improper latching and her always falling asleep on me, I have resorted to pumping my breastmilk and feeding it to her by bottle. It makes it quicker (especially where it was taking her an hour for each feeding session) and I can also keep track of how much she is eating. But now it seems like I am hardly producing enough milk to keep it going. I haven't resorted to formula yet, but I feel like I'm going to have to. I know it's not the end of the world. I'm wondering if I should just give up and deal with the breast issues from before. I'm honestly just confused, obviously have never done this before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Breastfeeding:1 hour to feed?

I'm wondering if I should just give up and deal with the breast issues from before.
    I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean try to get her back to the breast? I think that is possible.

I think you are doing great. Keep pumping and try to pump more often. How often are you pumping?

I don't think you will have to supplement. You can work through this. Someone will be along to help you more. I don't have much experience in this department.

The best way to stimulate milk production is to put baby to breast! Especially as your LO grows, she will stimulate your breasts to produce more. Is she doing any feedings at the breast?? I Would reccommend putting her back on if possible. I found a good way to keep LO awake is undress him right down to a diaper before I feed him...babies also naturually get sleepy at the breast, so you may have to stimulate them in the beginning, (tickle feet, rub nipple on their lips) but as they get older they get more efficient at eating and emptying. HTH...

Quote Originally Posted by retrochik77 View Post
    I'm a new mom and having some problems. Due to improper latching and her always falling asleep on me, I have resorted to pumping my breastmilk and feeding it to her by bottle. It makes it quicker (especially where it was taking her an hour for each feeding session) and I can also keep track of how much she is eating. But now it seems like I am hardly producing enough milk to keep it going. I haven't resorted to formula yet, but I feel like I'm going to have to. I know it's not the end of the world. I'm wondering if I should just give up and deal with the breast issues from before. I'm honestly just confused, obviously have never done this before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I agree with the previous poster, it's best to get your baby back to the breast as often as possible. As she gets older, she will get more efficient at emptying your breasts. My son used to take 45-75 minutes to nurse. Now at 9 months, he can finish in less than 10 minutes. Another thing to keep in mind is that she may be nursing for such a long time because she enjoys being close to you.

As far as making sure she's getting enough, you can count her wet diapers. Look for 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 wet disposable diapers) per day.

I agree with the pp, get your LO to breast more often if poss. For about the first 2 months my DS was nursing at some point during every hour of the day. It was exhausting! If you would like to keep pumping and giving it in a bottle this may help. Also try to make sure your getting something to eat and drink ! Good Luck

Thumbs up Re: Breastfeeding:1 hour to feed?

I agree with all the prior replies..nurse as often as you can...i know it's time consuming...my son camped out at the breast and when he wasn't nursing he was crying. I felt like he wasn't getting enough, but he had plenty of wet diapers. I felt like all I did was BF constantly!! Now he's 9 1/2 months and can empty a breast in 5-10 minutes. Your baby is much more efficient at stimulating your milk supply than a pump so BFing as much as you can will help.

Don't give up..every mother has doubts and concerns at some point so stay positive and have confidence in yourself!!

You and your baby can do this, I promise!!

Jamaica
    The Joys of my Life
    Kendal 11 yrs
    Mackenzie 7 yrs
    Braxten 9 1/2 mths

Nurse, nurse, nurse! Like everyone has said if you stimulate you will get milk. It may seem like a lot of feedings for a while but will get better!