Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nine and half months and not enough milk help!!

Exclamation Nine and half months and not enough milk help!!

Hello, I am the mother of a nine and half month old baby girl, our nursing has been going strong no problems ..til now. I started working 4-10's four months ago and I would pump three times a day and nurse twice including co-sleeping. She eats four small meals a day(solids) then she gets expressed breastmilk or nurses. But the problem I am having is I will pump and only get 3-5 ounces that's if I'm lucky. It keeps going down now, from day to day. But the thing that really got to me was lastnight she nursed to bed like usual and we were sleeping like 2 hours and she woke up frantic. Okay she was just latched on. Nope It was empty and the bad thing was, is I was as frantic as she was. So i put her on the breast i usually save to pump in the morning and I only got 3 ounces in the morning. So dig in the freezer again(3rd day in a row) but that only lasts so long. It seems like my eating hasn't changed and i'm not on my cycle. But I do not want to give her formula! we made it this far and that is my last option, I really want to make it until she is a year or when she's ready! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Nine and half months and not enough milk help!!

I'm sorry that you are finding your supply is dwindling. This must be concerning for you!

May I ask some questions?

When you are not working what is her typical schedule of nursing/solids?
    What type of pump are you using? New or used?

Does dd go to sitter or daycare near work or home?

How much EBM does she take when you are at work?

Thanks for answers!

Smile Re: Nine and half months and not enough milk help!!

I just want to offer some words of encouragement...I also have a 9 1/2 month old and have recently gone back to work full time..my milk supply dwindled down pretty low at first too...it is scary when you think you've gone this far and that it could end just like that...stay positive...you can do this!!

Are you able to pump at work? About how many nursing sessions do you have during the night? Pumping can be deceiving sometimes too...I've found that baby gets more than what the pump does..it's hard not to be concerned when you only get a couple of oz's after a pumping session, but just keep in mind that your baby is much better at it than any machine.

Don't give up!! It may seem like it's hopeless, but with all your obvious dedication you WILL make it to that 1 year...or however long you wish to BF!!!!

mom2three
    The Joys of My Life
    11yrs
    7 yrs
    9 1/2 mths

Thank you for being concerned, it helps to know there's some support. Her typical day is to wake up play, eat solids, nurse then off to sleep. this goes on about four times a day. I will nurse her when she wants ( digs down my shirt in the middle of wal-mart or anywhere) Then at night she latches on herself but usually two to three times a night. I have a new medela pump, it's a single.
    Yes she goes to daycare near me, but I do sheet metal (construction) so it's not possible to go to her. But her dad keeps her most of the day then she goes to daycare for two hours.
    She can take anywhere from 12-20oz while I'm gone. We had a vacation this weekend so I will see how it goes today! Thanks again!!

One thing you could try is to nurse her first in the morning, before solids. Then she may take a little more milk and stimulate your supply.

If you are having a supply issue, eventually your supply will increase if she in nursing more and you are pumping more.

Let us know how it goes!

It must be the 9 month dwindle, because I know there are a few of us that are experiencing the same thing. I have been pumping, pumping, pumping at work and it doesn't seem to make a difference. When we are at home, I don't really notice that she is starving or anything, but I come nowhere close to meeting her supply during the week! I have tried everything for the past 6 weeks and can't seem to get my supply to where it needs to be. But here are a few of the things I have found to work around the issue.

Make sure that when she is with you she nurses only...don't feed her food at all. Now, I do give her some of what we are eating to feed herself when we sit down at the table for supper or whatever, but she doesn't eat much that way...it just keeps her entertained so we all enjoy dinner! And she gets to experiment. If you are feeding her solids regularly, and it sounds like you are, make sure she is eating those when she is away from you...and it may decrease the amount of milk you need to provide for her when you are away.

Make sure that your sitter is not encouraging her to finish bottles...that she is only getting what she wants. When she is done, she is done. Baby should go to the nipple, not the nipple to her! You sitter should not be forcing the bottle nipple into her mouth ever! Kelly mom has some great info on bottle feeding the breastfed baby.

Pump, pump, pump, as much as you can while away from the baby. Try to get in one more pumping session, or get several letdowns. Relax.

I hope that helps. We have been struggling with supply for quite some time (which is ironic becuase I actually had on oversupply to start with!). Check back in and feel free to pm me for more info, if you want!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you very much! I'm not the only one. Not any thing down to you. But Anyway There is no possible way I can pump more I work construction and thats what is getting to me, I'm lucky I get the 1/2 hour for lunch. But I tried the pumping then nursing before I went to work. She didn't nurse long just went back to sleep. but the good news is I did a vacation this weekend and I got an extra oz. this morning then an extra 1 1/2 this afternoon!!yipee!! So that's a good sign so far. Oh yeah epbrown our babies were born on the same day. thanks again and good luck to you too.