Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: any adoptive breastfeeding mamas?

Default any adoptive breastfeeding mamas?

Hi, we're a small group of moms that are about to launch adoptivebreastfeeding.org, which is a blog-based website that we hope to be clean and easy to navigate. We want people to share their personal stories as adoptees (that are now adults) that were breastfed by their adoptive mothers, and also adoptive mothers that breastfed their children.

I'm not sure if this specific area of the forum was the right place to post this, so if you have any suggestions to repost, I'd love to hear.

Also, we're having some trouble locating adoptees that were breastfed are now adults. This is such a specific demographic, it has been challenging. So far we have found one woman who was breastfed by her adoptive mother and she has grown up to be a LLL leader! We know more are out there, so if you know anyone who wants to share their story (they can remain anonymous) please spread the word!

Also, if you're an adoptive mother who breastfed their child, we would love to have you on board, too. You can divulge as much or as little information as you would like. The main point is to give women that are currently trying to breastfeed their adopted child, or is contemplating it, a good idea of what they may experience (and how every child is different!)

Thanks for reading!

Default Re: any adoptive breastfeeding mamas?

hello,
    i have been giving my adopted son expressed milk (about 4-5 oz daily) since my bio son was born 5months ago. i am still too afraid to have him latch on because of all those teeth (he is 19 months) he loves it and drinks it right down. i was going to try nursing him this weekend as he was poking at my nipples as i was feeding his brother but he didn't go for it... not sure if i want to guide him there...

Great! (This is my personal account)

That is so cool you're able to do that.

If you're interested in writing a piece or a series for our blog on your adoptive lactation story I would love to feature it! Just let me know if you're interested!

Haha, I have no words of wisdom about the teeth. My adopted son was breastfed up until the day of relinquishment at almost 4 years old, so he knew that you don't bite nipples....I have no idea about your adopted son's breastfeeding history, but I am with you on being scared if he has never latched on before! ;-)

With that being said the cofounder of the website induced lactation with her adopted daughter and it wasn't until she was two years old that she finally latched on. She is a pro nurser now. If you're interested I can give you her contact info. she is also a nurse and IBLCE certified so she knows her stuff.
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

sure jlynne i would like her contact info. i am a little worried about my supply too, ie. i feel like i'm just making enough for my bio son that if my other son latched not sure if he woujld drink too much???

Great! I sent a private message with all her contact info!
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/