Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I? Or shouldn't I? Confused.. Help!

Talking Should I? Or shouldn't I? Confused.. Help!

Hi! Ok so I'm going back and forth on whether or not I should give my LO rice cereal. He just turned 5 months old and I know the recommendation is 6 months of strictly breast milk. Btw I have been EBF. He is a very big 5 month old weighing 20 lbs or more by now. The dr told me if I wanted to introduce some rice cereal at 5 months it would be ok. What is the right thing to do? I just feel bad cause lately he has been showing interest in food. He stares at us while we eat. I just think he would enjoy some different food but I want to so the right thing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank u!
    Mommy to Desmond born 2/4/2011 8lbs 13 oz and Dean born 6/4/2014 7lbs 14oz

Loving and

Default Re: Should I? Or shouldn't I? Confused.. Help!

I meant *do the right thing

Loving and

My daughter is a few weeks older than your son, and she has been grabbing for things for about a month or so. She's really interested in what we're doing, but is happy if we give her something to play with that she can put in her mouth. I don't know if she has wanted to eat foods for the past month, but I also don't care. She still pushes things out of her mouth with her tongue, so I don't think she's ready. Have you seen this link:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

ETA: And this one: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm pretty firmly in the no-cereal camp. Your baby might or might not be ready for solids. He'll let you know if you give him actual food. Some soft baked sweet potato, cut into chunks, or squares of avocado. Something like that. He can mouth it and decide whether or not he wants to eat it. But cereal is pretty much just empty calories that takes up some of the belly-space that could have been filled with nutritious foods like breastmilk or meat/fruit/veg. This is just my opinion. I don't think there are any "right" answers.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I would ask, why do you want to give rice cereal? Sounds like he's a big boy, doing great on EBF, so ... why try to fix something that's not broken? Babies are usually really interested in watching us eat around that age, but if you give them real food, they mostly just spit it out, because they're not really ready, you know? (There are some exceptions to this, usually in babies closer to the six month mark. But in that case, why rice cereal? It's so boring and bland? Why not a piece of avocado instead?)

I did give Joe some rice cereal (before I figured out about BLS) when he was a little shy of six months, and he just spit it all out anyway. I will say, there's no really "right" answer here - you can always try something and see how it goes. But I think we first time mothers are sometimes in such a rush to get the to the "next phase" that we forget that, really, the baby will let us know when he or she is ready. Joe wasn't really ready for solids until eight months or more, and I wish I could have just relaxed and been okay with that, but I worried a ton and made something into a problem when it really wasn't, you know??

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

for the most part my daughter is EBFed. since she constalntly tries to steal my food, from piuzza, barbeque chicken things like that, i bought bananas on my wic check. i'd give her half a banana, put infront of her while she plays on her jumperoo (its got a nifty little tray) and she'd play with it. test it. if i try to put bites in her mouth, she'd tounge thrust... but with her playing, its either on her, on the jumperoo or one adultsixed bite in her mouth. thats all.

i dont plan on forcing anyting with her. next wich check im buying carrots to cook up, not puree. im skipping that cruel gruel.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

those are great links from mommy2lilah.
    I am in favor of parents putting food on the table in front of the baby. If the baby picks it up and eats it, fine. If not, fine too. I did BLS with ds2, at a much younger age then most mommas on here do. But he met all the signs of readness and he just dove right into it with gusto. I always say watch the baby, not the calander. Sometimes that means they are ready at 5 months, 6month or even 10 months. Every baby is unique.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

With ML I gave cereal at about 6-7 months after EBF. She was completely ready for solids. I didn't feel all that happy about the cereal & started giving her tastes of pureed veggies and fruits. With CI, I waited until he was a lot older to introduce solids. I started with mashed bananas, avocados, etc. Just little bits of foods, mostly things he could pick up by himself. He never even had a taste of cereal & he loves more variety of foods than ML. If I had another child, I would totally go with BLS. HTH!
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

My LO spent the 5-6 month period watching dinner time very intently, but she wasn't really ready for solids at that time. I got her a set of spoons and forks with a nice "mouth feel" and let her play dinner time in her high chair. She went nuts over her utensils for months, just loved them. I did experiment with giving her some banana, sweet potato, things like that as PP's have described. No great harm done even if she wasn't ready because, like JoMo said, she would just spit it out anyway. There are some very helpful threads on baby-led solids (or baby-led weaning) if you do a search. You could also get the book "Baby Led Weaning" by Gil Rapley (or "The Baby Led Weaning Cookbook.") If you decide you'd rather feed purees, check out http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/ for some recipe ideas.

I never did cereals or purees and I don't regret it one bit.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Thank u for all ur replies! I definitely see this situation in a new light. I dont think I will be giving my LO cereal after reading this. I'm interested in BLS and will do some research on how exactly to go about it. I like the concept of not forcing food. The only worry I would have about not pureeing is choking but im sure there is a safe way to go about it. I get too excited about the next stage that I need to be reminded that my baby may not be ready. I'm sure im going to get slack from my In laws but who cares! Haha

Loving and