Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block Feeding

Default Block Feeding

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I only have a quick minute on here...

With DD (who is now almost 2), I had OS for the first ten months. Like, soaking through my nursing pads every. single. feeding. I was hoping it would be different with DS, but we seem to be in the same boat. I am just getting so tired of being soaked in my own milk. It makes me feel like I need to take a shower every fifteen minutes.

So, when can I start block feeding? DS is ten days old, so I don't want to sabotage my supply, but I want to try to get this in check before ten months goes by, YK? I was thinking of starting out with three hour blocks and going from there. What do you think?

TIA!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Default Re: Block Feeding

I had serious problems with OS and OALD with DS which led to severe engorgement and blocked ducts for me, and significant distress and colic signs for him. I HATED nursing for the first 5 to 6 months. I was determined not to go through that with DD. I actually started with 2 to 3 hour block feedings the day my milk came in. By the time she was 2 weeks old, I was doing 6 hour blocks. Fortunately, we reached a relatively decent balance around 6 weeks, instead of the 6 months it took with DS.

I am certainly not a lactation consultant, but I think if you are having that much oversupply, and already have a history of it with a previous baby, you should be fine starting block feedings now.