Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wish I had weaned much earlier!

Default Re: Wish I had weaned much earlier!

I weaned my first son at 17 months, you'll be able to do it.
    One thing that may be complicating it is your trying to have her do 2 things at once - 1) wean 2) learn to fall asleep by herself. Try picking 1 of the 2 to do first. For me I did let him cry at around 15 months while we were still nursing so I could nurse him when he woke up. If your set on weaning first can you rock her or drive her to sleep.

Thank you everyone for these thoughtful replies. The update here is that we are having little-to-no success with napping, but at least she will sit quietly with a couple of books for 30-45 minutes, with the lights dim. If she doesn't sleep under those circumstances, there's not much I can do. Taking her for a drive in the car works of course for those days when I am desperate for her to turn off for a little while (I take a book with me and pull over to read once she's asleep!). Have other moms had the experience that the napping stops right after/during weaning but then starts up again? Or is this - gasp - it for the afternoon nap?

I do appreciate the supportive words. Nursing has been wonderful for both of us and while I will miss it greatly, I feel we're ready to move on to what's next.

I think it's now time for me to slowly replace the wake-up sessions with something else - a cup of milk, breakfast, whatever.

Sigh.

While I weaned a little earlier than you (my son just got weaned and he's 13-1/2 months), we had the same issues--wouldn't nap or sleep at night without bf-ing, and would night wake. We worked on the nighttime wakings first, which were the tough ones. I cut out one at a time, starting with the earliest in the evening. At first, he cried for HOURS. It was rough on everyone, but I was determined and didn't give in. I would go in every once in a while and calm him (he REALLY got mad if Daddy went in), then leave again. After the first couple of nights, it got easier. Then I cut the other nighttime feeding, the one at 5 a.m. He now sleeps through the night, for the first time since he was born. After we successfully night weaned, the ones before nap & bed were much easier to drop because he had learned how to get himself to sleep without nursing. I just kept dropping only one feeding at a time, and gave at least a week in between for all of us to adjust.

I sometimes miss the breastfeeding, now that my LO has weaned, but I know it was right for me to wean when I did.

Good luck to you. Once you decide to take a step forward, stick to your guns. It'll be hard at first, but worth it!

Lisa

LLL says that "Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need. " With that being said it is important to remember two things....
    1. This is like a game, when one of the players is ready to stop it is time to change some things...
    2. Also, your little one may not be ready to not nurse...

Many moms have found that this age is prime for gaining Independence and then also needing to nurse more frequently and reconnect with mom after a busy day of new things
    I understand your frustration BC I have an 18 month old that still nurses to sleep, through out the night and also during the day... Can you enlist the help of your husband or maybe hold her, rock her, or read her some books until she falls asleep... I can not imagine how hard it is to not have a napper, I live for nap time... Hang in there! Brittan

I also wanted to rec amend " Mothering your Nursing Toddler" you can find it in your local LLL lending library