Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBF to pumping

Unhappy EBF to pumping

Ive decided that I just cant do it anymore. Breastfeeding has become too demanding for me. Being stuck with a baby on my breast almost every hour is literally driving me crazy.
    I really dont want to go to formula, so Im thinking about pumping instead.

Any ideas on how to transition smoothly? Ive tried giving LO a bottle once, and it didnt go good..at all. Im going to invest in tommee tippee bottles, and breast flow bottles. But I just dont know how to make the transition. I only have about 4 ounces of milk stored right now. I just dont know how to do this!

Default Re: EBF to pumping

Hi mama, do you want any advice about breastfeeding and troubleshooting or are you only looking for EP info? I ask because it seems that you feel pumping exclusively is easier, I will say it's a million times more hassle and time consuming.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miguelsmommy529 View Post
    Ive decided that I just cant do it anymore. Breastfeeding has become too demanding for me. Being stuck with a baby on my breast almost every hour is literally driving me crazy.
    I really dont want to go to formula, so Im thinking about pumping instead.

Any ideas on how to transition smoothly? Ive tried giving LO a bottle once, and it didnt go good..at all. Im going to invest in tommee tippee bottles, and breast flow bottles. But I just dont know how to make the transition. I only have about 4 ounces of milk stored right now. I just dont know how to do this!

Hi there, with pp for sure. Exclusively pumping is way more work than exclusively breastfeeding. How old is your baby? Perhaps your baby is going though a growth spurt.........have you considered a sling or wrap to nurse in? If you feel tied down or chained to the couch....pumping instead of breastfeeding will not help..sorry.

with the PPs. Exclusive pumping (EP) sounds like the easy way out, but it is almost always much, much harder than breastfeeding straight from the tap. We'll happily help you get it started, but please let us help you trubleshoot your nursing experience before you jump onto the EP bus.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm sorry breastfeeding has been a rocky road for you. I completely sympathize with your feelings about having a baby attached 24/7. I haven't felt any of the warm fuzzies I expected, and right now I can honestly say I dislike breastfeeding overall . I think your LO is 5 1/2 weeks old: you've done an awesome job already!

What I would suggest is this. Pump once per day. Then each day when your LO is ready to take a nap (or at least has recently eaten and looks sleepy), leave her/him with a caregiver and go out for an hour. If LO is hungry again before you return, the caregiver can give the bottle you pumped yesterday. Try that for a week or two and see if you feel relieved. It will also give you a chance to decide whether pumping is worth the break. If so, you might decide to add pumping sessions (and time away) gradually.

ETA: Personally, I decided the hassle of pumping wasn't worth the break and went back to EBF. I just repeat to myself 'it won't be much longer.' Also, as I've gotten more comfortable taking my son out and NIP my mental outlook has improved some.
    Last edited by @llli*mandy314; July 7th, 2011 at 06:03 AM.

i had to pump and bottle feed for about 2mths and trust me it does not make it easier! you have to pump for at least 120min a day in order to maintain a supply which breaks down to pumping every 3hrs. you have to pump even at night and even if your lo starts sleeping long stretches you will be up pumping. also you have to empty your breast every time you pump or blocked ducts are a real possibility. i had 3 blocked ducts in one week and i was in serious pain!!! your daily routine will be pumping, washing pump, feeding, washing bottles, and then its time to pump again. also during growth spurts you have to pump every 2 hrs to let your body know to make more. and that means up every 2 hrs at night! in the beginning pumping does sound appealing but your little one will stop eating so often and then when your baby is on a play mat cooing and giggling and you will still be tied to a pump. i really like mandys idea of giving a bottle and getting out for a bit. sometimes you just need a break. i also have just recently become comfortable with nip and that help a lot as well. when you feel like all you do is feed your baby it can be hard i hope things get better for you very soon!

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

EPing is MUCH more work!! It seems easier, but it's NOT!

I live this every day. I would love to be in your shoes. Why? Because it will end.

But I have to pump 120 minutes a day. And to start, that was every 2 hours. Around the clock. The baby would want to eat, then it was time to pump again. That went on for 3 long months.

I'm now down to 5 times a day, but it's for a half hour or so at a time (slow letdown to a pump). And now, baby gets bored and starts crying while I'm pumping. Then I have to choose.. Finish pumping or pick up baby.

Then bottlefeeding means you never have your hands free. You can nurse hands free but that's not the case for a bottle. Bottle propping is dangerous.

The washing up is a drag.

EPing is expensive. The pump rental is expensive. The spare parts. Buying different sized horns to get the right size. Bags. It costs me over $120 a month to EP. And that does not include te special teats my baby takes.

You can get through this. Your baby is nursing by instinct. It will stop. And honestly, i found bottlefeeding during the 6 week growth spurt, which started at 5.5 weeks, much more difficult than nursing through one. In order to make enough milk to keep baby satisfied, I had to pump a LOT. it was super stressful. I'm sure I have some posts around here somewhere about that.

If you are absolutely, positively bent on EPing, come to the EPing forum, but I urge you to rethink. This is not a decision to make when you are tired and stressed
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usa View Post
    Hi there, with pp for sure. Exclusively pumping is way more work than exclusively breastfeeding. How old is your baby? Perhaps your baby is going though a growth spurt.........have you considered a sling or wrap to nurse in? If you feel tied down or chained to the couch....pumping instead of breastfeeding will not help..sorry.
    He is 5 1/2 weeks old. I swear his whole existence has been a growth spurt. I have a moby wrap, but am just too slow to figure it out.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Hi mama, do you want any advice about breastfeeding and troubleshooting or are you only looking for EP info? I ask because it seems that you feel pumping exclusively is easier, I will say it's a million times more hassle and time consuming.
    Breastfeeding has gone relatively smooth. A few rough spots but now that we are pain free, I don't like the actual sensation it gives. I can stick it out for that reason, but I just have this baby on me all the time.

[QUOTE=@llli*miguelsmommy529; I don't like the actual sensation it gives. I can stick it out for that reason, but I just have this baby on me all the time.[/QUOTE]

Is it really pain-free?

And ... Hate to break it to you...but that's what babies DO. I'm trapped under my bottlefed babyright now. Bottlefeeding does not mean you are going to be able to pump, feed an put baby down. If you have help 24/7, yes, EPing could possibly be more freeing, because all you do is pump and someone else can feed baby, but this is how newborns are. On mom.

I found the early days of bottlefeeding and pumping incredibly frustrating because it was even more intense than BFing.

I must say I don't love the feeling of BFing, but I do love the ease it becomes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!