Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soft Spot sunken?

Question Soft Spot sunken?

My little guy is 10 1/2 wks old and today his soft spot appears a bit sunken. I have been told (by formula feeders) that this means a baby is not getting enough food. I highly doubt this is the case as he feeds consistently when I am home, I pump 3-4 oz 2 times while I am at work (6 hours total including commute). I know he is draining the breast because he has solved a clogged duct issue that my pump was unable to. He has been gaining steadily and adequately. I am taking him to the dr for a weight check on Friday (my own paranoia) but is there anything else that can be causing this?
    J- Mommy to MJ 5/9/09 for 2 mo until 9mos
    DD 4/23/11 with lots more support and success
    Wife to Dev 4/20/11

Default Re: Soft Spot sunken?

are you talking about the one on the front? its perfectly normal to be sunken in. blah to those who say its not suposed to, unless its very pronounced, dont worry about it. my daughter's frontal soft spot was pronounced, but that was cuz her skull bones overlapped (and that freaked me out... itsnormal now)

that soft spot is fine. you shold only worry if its SWOLLEN, not if its sunken
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

If you're getting plenty of wet diapers, I don't think you need to worry about it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

To correct what they're saying, it's not food. It's a sign of dehydration. Yes, they get their food / drink together, but it's specific to dehydration.

That being said, it's very individual. If the baby has always had it slightly sunken, it's just the way they are like the PP said. It's when it CHANGES from being the way it is to being sunken / more sunken than normal that it could be cause for concern.

Are you getting plenty of wet / dirty diapers? Yes? Then it's just they way your babe is.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Yes we are having plenty of wet/dirty diapers (8/2 per day average). It has always been slightly sunken upon close inspection it just seems a tad more sunken today(wouldn't call it pronounced even, just changed). I'm going to keep an eye on it since we have been having some very hot weather lately and here in North Dakota an air conditioner is rarely a necessity. Thank you all so much.
    J- Mommy to MJ 5/9/09 for 2 mo until 9mos
    DD 4/23/11 with lots more support and success
    Wife to Dev 4/20/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MLDD.mommaflick View Post
    Yes we are having plenty of wet/dirty diapers (8/2 per day average). It has always been slightly sunken upon close inspection it just seems a tad more sunken today(wouldn't call it pronounced even, just changed). I'm going to keep an eye on it since we have been having some very hot weather lately and here in North Dakota an air conditioner is rarely a necessity. Thank you all so much.
    Sounds like you are doing fine by the diaper count. I also wanted to add that sometimes the soft spot will change slightly in appearance based on baby's position. It can look more sunken when they are sitting upright and less so when they are lying down.

As long as your baby is peeing enough, there's no need to worry. And definitely check out how the fontanel changes based on position- when my babies were upright their fontanels always seemed more sunken than when they were lying down. Basic physics, I guess!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My sons looks different daily I think
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we