Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant nose block - help!

Unhappy Constant nose block - help!

My LO is 2 months. He is constantly having mucous in his nose and getting blocked all the time. The mucous dries up and I can hear his breathing. It makes breastfeeding or bottle feeding hard as he cannot breathe properly through his nose and his mouth is occupied. It gets very frustrating for him. I stopped nursing him using the side lying position cos it seemed that it is harder to breathe that way. I use the cradle hold but try to bring his head higher up.

What can I do? I can hear him breathing when he's asleep too. It's too far in for me to pick them out and I don't really like the idea of sticking cotton swabs in his nose all the time.

Please help!!!

Default Re: Constant nose block - help!

When I was having congestion issues with my DS, the doctor said that I could get some saline drops that are meant for infants, and drop a few up his nose. That helps the snot loosen up, so you'll be able to suck it out.

For me, it turned out the congestion was due to a dairy allergy - so I have cut dairy out of my diet. It seems to have helped us so far!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Breastmilk. Shoot it straight into his nose. It's a great "Quick Fix". It will clear a child up long enough to eat comfortably.

Way too lazy for formula

i was going to say the same thing about the milk allergy. we also had good luck with the saline drops

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011