Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oversupply question

Default oversupply question

After lots of searching I've come to the conclusion that I have an oversupply of bm. I've begun block feeding and I'm working on new nursing positions. I'm curious if the constant feeding will stop after my supply is regulated. My 5wk old has been nursing every hour for almost a week. She also has a hard time sleeping during the day unless I'm holding her. I'm just curious about changes I might see. If you have any advice I will gladly accept it

Default Re: oversupply question

What symptoms of oversupply are you suffering from right now?

Most newborns nurse all the time, regardless of mother's supply. That's normal. Many newborns, including my own (when he was a newborn, that is), won't sleep unless they are being held, that's also normal. So I don't know if you see that change as your supply regulates, but the good news is that those things tend to improve as time goes by, again regardless of your supply. So hang in there. But meanwhile, can you explain why you think you have oversupply? Because normally when I hear that a newborn is constantly feeding, oversupply is not my first thought. ETA: Although the two can definitely go together! They're just not usually causally connected.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 6th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PP. I completely second her advice, and her questions as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry about the confusion. My lo has green sometimes explosive stool, gags and coughs when nursing, has gas and I have had some engorgement. I was just wondering if the constant feeding was because of the oversupply. I'm just worried she's not getting what she needs (weight gain was good last week) since she is always hungry even after a good 20 min of nursing. I'm a new mom and appreciate y'alls help.

Thanks for the clarification! Okay, my guess is that the constant feeding is not due to oversupply. Often babies who experience oversupply go a bit longer than average between feedings because they get stuffed so full every time they go to the breast. I'd point spot this just being normal newborn behavior. Babies love to suck, and the breast is more than just nutrition. It's comfort and warmth and closeness, as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks, it helps to know what is "normal" behavior and what's due to the oversupply. I am just eager to see some yellow poop!

Have you been doing one-sided feedings? Block feeding? That could help regulate the oversupply, the fast letdowns, and result in more yellow poops. Just be cautious and don't go too far with the one-sided or block feedings... You can reduce your supply too much!

I've been using block feeding for 3 days and her stools are a good consistency with seeds but still green or like a dark yellow. She also has had very watery stool the last three nights. During the day there is sometimes a little mucus. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sounds like you're on the right track. It takes a while to regulate supply. With Joe, I had bad oversupply, and honestly, continued to see a one green poop every day for many months. But the rest of his poops were more yellow, he was a happy baby, and he was gaining weight so I decided not to sweat over poop color so much. So I guess I'm saying, keep up the good work, don't expect an overnight change, and also if you're happy (not too engorged) and the baby's happy and gaining weight, the color of poop is not something to get too worried about!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the support and advice. I feel confident we will be back on track soon.