Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples/areolas & not enough milk?

Default Sore nipples/areolas & not enough milk?

I am a first time mom and my son has been sucking since the delivery table. He is now 12 days old. From the first day, we had feedings on each breast between 45 minutes to an hour and I asked about my latch at the hospital and they said everything was fine. My milk didn't come in until the 4th day and he was ravenous so we gave him some formula from a syringe which our pediatrician approved of. My nipples have been so sore and my areolas so swollen that it is so hard to keep breastfeeding. At this point, he is so hungry after feeding for hours that we have resorted to supplementing with a bottle. I feel like all he wants to do is suck. He doesn't seem to have any nipple confusion but I am afraid he is not latching properly since my breasts are so sore. He has been gaining weight and has a lot of wet and poopy diapers, but wants to suck constantly and acts hungry (crying,hands in mouth,rooting,etc.) Please help!!!

Default Re: Sore nipples/areolas & not enough milk?

Do you have an IBCLC you can consult in the office or at home? Sore nipples and swollen areolas make me think you should have someone else take a look at the latch. It's great that he's having wet and poopy diapers and gaining well, but you definitely want to make sure that the latch is proper in these early days to save yourself and him trouble later.

Are you familiar with www.drjacknewman.com? He has some good videos about latching, but they're no substitute for hands-on help.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

with the PP. It sounds like you could really use some hands-on help. Can you tell us some more about what you are experiencing? For example, what shape are your nipples after the baby is done feeding? Did you have antibiotics during your baby's birth, or a yeast infection (trust me, it's relevant)? When do you feel the most pain- during feedings, after feedings, only at a certain point during a feeding? Any skin changes in your breasts (redness, pinkness, shininess, flaking, cracking)?

Also, how much supplement are you using, and what was the baby's diaper output like before you began to supplement?

Hang in there! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your referral to the drjacknewman.com website. It looks like the latch was all wrong so we are working on it now. I will be going to a breastfeeding support group tomorrow with an IBCLC leading the group. I think I will be able to get some hands-on help there to make sure I am making the right corrections.
    I also figured out that my son was sucking versus drinking this whole time which is why we would nurse for hours and, most likely, why my milk production may have slowed down. Hopefully, they can help me figure out how to get my milk production back on track, too.
    My nipples seemed to be sore when I first started nursing and continue to be sensitive after feedings but would also get whitish "callouses" on the tips. My areolas just started hurting within the last few days since I was trying to get him to latch differently but I think they will get better as soon as we get a good latch established.
    Also, I think we have been okay on the number of wets and poopy diapers even before supplementing. Always at least 2 poopy and 6 to 8 wets for the last week. Poops are runny, mustard color and seedy so that seems right from what I've heard.
    No antibiotics or yeast infection for the birth either and my breasts, other than the nipples and areolas, don't seem to show any changes that you asked about.
    Last edited by @llli*designermama; July 6th, 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks for answering those questions! Based on what you've posted, it sounds like your supply is decent despite the supplementing, and it doesn't sound like you're experiencing pain from thrush. This link should help you ditch the formula: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm so glad you have a support group with an IBCLC; that's wonderful. Dr. Newman's site was really helpful to me, and I kept his book (from the library) as my nursing reading (when it wasn't Winnie the Pooh for my older one). We definitely needed hands-on intervention and evaluation as well, though. Let us know how it goes, please.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)