Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding problems due to baby chemo side effects

Default Feeding problems due to baby chemo side effects

Hi

I am currently bf my 15 week DS who was diagnosed with retinoblastoma a few weeks ago.

He has just started chemotherapy and I am kean to make contact with any bf mother who has experience of dealing with problems arrising with feeding further to treatment side effects.

Side effects may include sore mouth/throat/stomach and loss of appetite. There are no cancer web forums in any way related to this issue so fingers crossed for this forum

Thanks

Default Re: Feeding problems due to baby chemo side effects

Hi mama welcome! I would also cross post this in the chronic conditions section. You're doing an amazing job, good luck.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mcinnes.jennifer View Post
    Hi

I am currently bf my 15 week DS who was diagnosed with retinoblastoma a few weeks ago.

He has just started chemotherapy and I am kean to make contact with any bf mother who has experience of dealing with problems arrising with feeding further to treatment side effects.

Side effects may include sore mouth/throat/stomach and loss of appetite. There are no cancer web forums in any way related to this issue so fingers crossed for this forum

Thanks
    Hi mama, welcome! There is a LLL leader here that has a DD that has gone through chemo. about posting this in the chronic conditions section as she monitors that forum. Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hi

Thank you so much for pointing out the cross posting. I can't seem to find the chronic conditions section - silly me! Which area is it under??

Thanks again

Sorry they just revamped the forums. It's now called Health Issues (baby/child)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay....8Baby-Child%29

Good luck to you, mama! Keep up the great work!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hi. I am so sorry to hear about your child and the struggles you are facing. I am the Moderator on Chronic Baby (they recently changed the name on me). My daughter was diagnosed with stage 4 Neuroblastoma at 5 weeks 2 days of age. I was able to nurse her all through treatments and post-chemo/immune suppressed years. I am happy to report she is a 3 1/2 year old still nursing preschooler. I am here for you to talk about all the ins/outs of treatment, etc. I will pm you may cell number. Please call me.

The cancer world is a tough place to be. Be strong!! I am here and willing to offer my experiences with you.
    Alene
    Alene
    LLL Leader

My daughter was also diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma at 4 month. (She is now almost 10 and just had her long term follow up--9 years cancer free!). We never had any nursing problems during her chemo, although she had other problems. Remember that breastmilk is wonderful for their immune system--just what your little one needs right now.

I found the nurses and doctors to be very supportive of breast feeding all the way through the process. One of my favorite memories during this time was nursing her in the recovery room after her first surgery. They had a nice rocking chair in the recovery room and the nurse carefully reached around and detached leads while I nursed my little girl. When my daughter was a little past her first birthday, she had an ear infection diagnosed by her oncologist. When he found out that it was her first ear infection, his comment was, "oh, that wonderful breast milk!"

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message.

Erin

My baby 8 months has just been diagnosed with Leukemia. I am breastfeeding him currently. I am trying to increase me supply since I know my milk will help him with chemo. This is not easy, but we do the best we can! Haven't started chemo yet, so I am fearful of the side effects.

E