Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More odd behavior

Default More odd behavior

Hi everyone,
    My 7 1/2 week old is doing well... Weight gain has been adequate. She is having a very wet diaper every time I change her. Poops abbot 1-2x/ day now. She is not the kind of baby who wants to nurse all the time or comfort suck at all. I can't get her to dream feed (I asked about that before).She is so different than my DS was. If I try to get her to eat before she is ready, she will not latch at all. She often screams at the breast with her mouth open to latch but just screams and shakes her head back and forth and will usually pass out and sleep. She does feed every 2-3 hrs during the day and about every 3-5 at night. I've tried waking her to feed but she won't. Also, she only feeds on one side and almost always less than 10 min, but sometimes longer. Is she just a very efficient nurser? People always talk about how there baby is always on the breast and I feel like mine doesn't nurse enough!

Does this sound normal/okay for her age? I feel like she isn't eating enough. We have another appt next week so hopefully she is still gaining. I'd really appreciate any input! Thanks so much, ladies!!!

Default Re: More odd behavior

Some babies really are "all business" at the breast - they breastfeed, get their milk (quickly!), and then they're done. They're not interested in comfort sucking and they won't dream feed. So it may just be her personality (isn't it crazy how they have these strong personalities, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX? it blows my mind! ). As far as the fussing at the breast, do you think you might have overactive letdown? That can make fussy eaters ... well, pretty unhappy and irritated.

Her diaper count sounds AWESOME, so it seems like she's getting enough, and she's just really efficient. Hope you get some good news at your next appointment!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with JoMo. I know it can be freaky going from a kid who never refuses the breast to one who can take it or leave it... But it sounds like you're doing just fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, ladies! I always get the best advice here!

Today, I had a period of 4 hours where my LO would not nurse and did the screaming and shaking her head. I finally pumped and she took a bottle. Then tonight, she has been nursing just fine. Any ideas what could be going on?

I too thought about OALD but at night when she nurses after a longer stretch and I'm really full and I know the milk is coming out really strong, she latches on just fine and nurses until My breast is soft. I'm so confused and was so frustrated today!

Maybe she likes the OALD and gets mad w/ slow flow. You could try using a pump to begin letdown and then latch her on - then she won't have to work as hard, the lazy thing.
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; July 7th, 2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: darn typo
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Replace the 7 1/2 weeks with 13 weeks and I could have written your post! If it's any help, mine has been on that same kick for 2 weeks. She'll nurse for 5 minutes on one side, get fussy, switch to the other side for 5 minutes and then she's done. Won't nurse if I try to feed her before she's ready (screams at me!) and won't nurse longer than 15 minutes. I thought she couldn't possibly be getting enough. But she's happy in between feedings, eats every 3 hours almost on the dot, and is still gaining and having enough wet diapers. So I've decided to relax about it; maybe she's just a fast eater. Once I decided to stop getting frustrated about it, we've had a much better time. Hang in there It's so easy to second guess ourselves and over analyze!
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!