Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please explain OALD.....

Default Re: Please explain OALD.....

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that block feeding is when you nurse on one side at each feeding for 5-6 hours and then nurse on the other side at each feeding for five to six hours.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by mamajenn
    About how many wet and poopy diapers does your baby have per 24 hours? I change her diapers every 2 1/2 to3 1/2 hours and there is always poo in it. She only has about 2 diapers a day that are just poo and the rest are wet.
    Sounds good. Are the wet diapers very heavy?

What was your baby's lowest weight? 6.4 at birth, then went to 4.9 oz by 2nd week started waking her up every up every 2 hours and feeding her as she was only eating every 6 hours.....
    Every six hours? That's a very long time between feedings. Was she very sleepy? Let me see if I have got this right. Her birth weight was 6lbs 4oz. On week two, her weight had slipped to 4lbs 9oz?

What is it now? 7.4 when I went for the 5 week check up.
    So, she was 4lbs 9oz and now she is 7lbs 4oz?

How many times per 24 hours does your baby nurse?From 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM she nurses every 2 hours. This has not changed from 2 weeks of age. She did have a few days where she nursed every hour, but for the most part every 2 hours. At night she will usually nurse at 2:00 AM & 4:30 AM. Again, she did have a few nights where she nursed every hour.
    That sounds about average.

You should know that many mothers don't feel letdown. You can take your baby off the breast if you notice she is gulping or struggling to keep up with the flow. You can just let the excess milk spray into a towel or burp cloth, then put her back on the breast. I have tried to listen to her today while feeding and when I hear her gulping I release the latch - but I do not have any spray coming out! When I put pressure on my breast some light colored milk comes and and some dark colored milk as well. But again - no spray!
    I'm unsure of what you mean by "put pressure on". Could you please clarify that?

I'm glad to hear the Australian position (baby is "down under"...get it? ) is working for you. I do not find this working for me. I would think after 4 nights now I would notice a difference and have not noticed any difference at all.
    **I should clarify here that I made a mistake in my writing (that's what I get for being up past midnight!) In the Australian hold, the MOTHER is "down under" and baby is on top. Gravity helps slow the flow of milk in this position.**
    Does your dd nurse more peacefully in this position?

You don't *have* to pump before you feed her. Many mothers find the best option for them is just to let the excess spray into a towel as stated above. If you wanted to try pumping or hand expressing before feeding, you could express just until the initial letdown. The milk flow will be slower from then on out. Since I am seeing no "excess spray" should I pump? Perhaps pump 1/2 oz? I can only get 1 oz from a pump any way!!!
    I'm not sure if I would suggest that at this point in time.

I am still unclear as to when let down would be? Are you saying it is when things stops shooting of while pumping?
    "Letdown" (milk ejection reflex) can occur at anytime during the feeding. You can tell it has happened by a change your baby's sucking pattern. This might help: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...nJul01p54.html

Yesterday and today I have tired the approach of having her eat only from one side for at least 7 hours at a time.
    mamajenn, if you want to try block feeding, it's best to start in increments of 2-3 hours on one breast. Upwards of 4 hours is only warranted if supply doesn't regulate down enough for baby with 2-3. I would urge you to consider trying a shorter increment *first*. Reducing supply is a tricky thing, and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone try going that long on one breast at first. I do have a question, though. During that 7 hours on one breast, did you remove any milk on the other at all? If not, did you become engorged?

So far, there has not been too much improvement, she still seams to be fussy after feedings. But - she has not pulled away too much from my breast. Only a few times..... Perhaps it is because I have been giving her Gripe water after each feeding??? She still has green poo today and still gets very upset when it is time for her to poo.....
    This is NOT a LLL resource, but this link asks the reader a lot of questions and leads to possible solutions. Maybe read it and see if anything jumps out at you? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Forgot to add: Your baby has thrush. Is that correct?

I'm hoping to have all your concerns on this one thread. That will give us a better idea of the BIG picture.

Angry Re: Please explain OALD.....

Pretty Heavy, but poo has some play in that as it is green, runny.

Every six hours? That's a very long time between feedings. Was she very sleepy? Let me see if I have got this right. Her birth weight was 6lbs 4oz. On week two, her weight had slipped to 4lbs 9oz?

She was sleepy, but shewasalso just born. Only a week old.
    You are correct about weight!

Yes
    I'm unsure of what you mean by "put pressure on". Could you please clarify that?

Basically, hand express

**I should clarify here that I made a mistake in my writing (that's what I get for being up past midnight!) In the Australian hold, the MOTHER is "down under" and baby is on top. Gravity helps slow the flow of milk in this position.**

She is the same, just does not pull as much.
    mamajenn, if you want to try block feeding, it's best to start in increments of 2-3 hours on one breast. Upwards of 4 hours is only warranted if supply doesn't regulate down enough for baby with 2-3. I would urge you to consider trying a shorter increment *first*. Reducing supply is a tricky thing, and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone try going that long on one breast at first. I do have a question, though. During that 7 hours on one breast, did you remove any milk on the other at all? If not, did you become engorged?

Well, I have always block fed then, because she only takes one breast during a feeding, except at night when she takes both. I was originally feeding on 1 side every 2 hours and then switch to the next for the next feeding.
    It is only when the yanking, screaming & crying began that I used both sides in a feeding. I do pump every 4 hours on the opposite side when I go 7 hours, except at night when I just wait untill morning to pump. I do get a full and tight sensations - I guess that is engorgement.

Still no change today in her. She has gotten better at feeding and does not yank back, but clamp down on my nipple during feeding. But - her poo is still green and she is still fussy after each feeding.

I hate to see her this upset all the time. she is either sleeping, eating or crying, she no longer has awake times where we can play and have fun. I am not seeing the benefit of BF if it is hurting her this much! If my foremilk is causing this much of a problem for her and pain, why would I want to continue to put her through this??????????

If my foremilk is causing this much of a problem for her and pain, why would I want to continue to put her through this??????????
    Because this is a correctable situation And because breastmilk is more than just food. It provides your baby with everything she needs. It protects her now and in the future from illness and disease. Artificial milk cannot offer her those benefits.

If 2 hour blocks aren't correcting the situation, then try 3 hour. Some women have to go up to 8 hours.

If I recall correctly, your baby was diagnosed with thrush, correct?

You'll get over this bump in the road!!! Just keep trying to figure out the issue -- it will get better! You're giving your baby something truly wonderful by breastfeeding her.

Pretty Heavy, but poo has some play in that as it is green, runny.
    Green and runny *could* be due to OALD or it could be allergy or it could be within your dd's range of normal. How's that for confusing? Here's a resource that might clear it up (not LLL): http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Yes
    According to that information, she gained 2lb 11oz in three weeks. I'm wondering...was she weighed on the same scale for those two weights?

Basically, hand express
    When you hand express, first the milk is clear then it is thicker? You say it doesn't spray, how would you decribe it?

She is the same, just does not pull as much.
    Is that an improvement at all? Maybe try another variation of baby "uphill"?

[COLOR="royalblue"][B][I]Well, I have always block fed then, because she only takes one breast during a feeding, except at night when she takes both. I was originally feeding on 1 side every 2 hours and then switch to the next for the next feeding.
    It is only when the yanking, screaming & crying began that I used both sides in a feeding. I do pump every 4 hours on the opposite side when I go 7 hours, except at night when I just wait untill morning to pump. I do get a full and tight sensations - I guess that is engorgement.
    When I say "one side" I mean ONE breast for an entire block of time. If baby wants to nurse two times in 3 hours, both of those times would be on the same breast. So, if you started on the left, you would nurse 3 hours on the left side (no matter how often she wanted to nurse). Then switch to the right for 3 hrs. Make sense?

Still no change today in her. She has gotten better at feeding and does not yank back, but clamp down on my nipple during feeding. But - her poo is still green and she is still fussy after each feeding.
    I hate to see her this upset all the time. she is either sleeping, eating or crying, she no longer has awake times where we can play and have fun. I am not seeing the benefit of BF if it is hurting her this much! If my foremilk is causing this much of a problem for her and pain, why would I want to continue to put her through this??????????
    Well, there are other things this could be besides OALD or *just* OALD. You mentioned you have thrush, right? Thrush in baby's mouth can be painful. That could defintely contribute to the fussing.

Did you check out the link I posted earlier about fussing? Did anything jump out at you?

Do you live in an area that has any IBCLC at all?

Hoping things are better for you today!

Wanted to add a quote from an article entitled Yeast and the Breastfeeding Family located here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html
    "Babies may appear perfectly normal without noticeable symptoms or there may be creamy white patches on their gums, insides of cheeks, palates and tongues which do not scrape off. Their saliva and the insides of their lips may have a pearly, opalescent sheen before a visible outbreak. Their mouths may be sore, causing them to refuse to nurse or to nurse for a moment, then pull off the breast and cry. Clicking sounds may be heard during breastfeeding. They may be extra fussy and gassy. They may have a yeast rash in the diaper area: a vivid red, raised rash with stray bumps around the edges that is not soothed by usual remedies. The skin can crack and ooze clear fluid, or even bleed."

Question explain OALD.....

Jolie -
    I thank you so much for giving me your time and attention to help me get these issues resolved with my last child.
    Yes, she was diagnosed with thrush. Currently I am treating it with Organic GSE mixture as the Nystatin really seamed to be upsetting her stomach. I am also giving her Acidophilus 3x's a day to help her. Even though I only had stinging for 1 day, I am taking a Probiotic 6 times a day and Organic GSE (capsule) 3 times a day. I am also using Motherlove Diaper rash treatment (Suppose to be excellent at treating Thrush) after feedings.
    Here is what has been happening the past few days. My husband came home on Friday ... I pumped out a feeding, and went to bed to get some much needed sleep as I have been getting no sleep due to taking care of Taylor crying all night long (and all day too). I had just fed her around 7:30. I pumped and went to bed at 9:30. I awoke at my normal time to feed her 2:30, she seamed to eat just fine. Fed her again @ 5:30 (as usual), then every 2 hours past that. from 2:30 on she ate from both sides for 30 minutes each. Saturday she was awake and happy, laughing and playing again. No crying fits at all. Her poo seemed to be back to normal.
    When taking to my husband, Friday night he fed her a 3 oz bottle of EMB at 9:30, she continued to cry, so he mixed 2 oz of EBM and 2 oz of formula and fed it to her. She then was satisfied and there was no crying fit at all. Again at 11:00 he fed her 3 oz of EBM and she began her crying again, so he mixed the last 3 oz of EBM with 2 oz of formula and fed it to her and she was satisfied. (I should also add that I can only get 1 oz of formula off of each side when I pump).
    So - We have assumed that she needs more BM at night and is not getting satisfied with what I am producing. I am guessing that the block feeding was bothersome to her because she was not able to get satisfied.
    I have gone back to feeding her off of both sides every 2 hours. I also try and pump after each feeding. I give her what I pump when she gets upset (which is usually less than 1 oz) to make sure she is getting all the hind milk.
    Saturday night and tonight, I have continued to feed her off of both sides every 1 1/2 hours and then we have been mixing the last of the EBM we had frozen with formula to help her be satisfied.
    The only time she yanks back or pulls off is when I seem to have no more left. I am assuming this means I am not producing enough to satisfy her. I also think she was having issues with OALD, but we perhaps have corrected that???? The diapers Saturday and today have gone back to mustard seedy color.
    I am taking (just started on Saturday) More Milk Plus by Motherlove, and since birth have been drinking 3 cups of Organic Mothers Milk tea each day.

I do not have anyone in the area to help me as far as lactation, but am looking into the online meeting by LLL.....

Suggestions, comments, advice????

According to that information, she gained 2lb 11oz in three weeks. I'm wondering...was she weighed on the same scale for those two weights?

Yes she was weighed on the same scale. My Doctr's office only has 1 scale for babies. I watched them weigh her each time.

When you hand express, first the milk is clear then it is thicker? You say it doesn't spray, how would you decribe it?

When I hand express I get both clear and thick milk at the same time. Clear comes out of the sides and thick darker comes out of the middle and bottom. When I hand express, it spurts out, but at no point do I find spray. Even when I release her..... it does spray like crazy when I pump.

Is that an improvement at all? Maybe try another variation of baby "uphill"?

Doing my best at trying to find positions to help her....

Did you check out the link I posted earlier about fussing? Did anything jump out at you?

Could you give me that link again? I think I read it and nothing jumped out at me, but I want to make sure I have the correct one in mind.

Do you live in an area that has any IBCLC at all?

No, I do not think so, how do i double check that?

Default Re: explain OALD.....

Just out of curiosity, have you taken baby in to her doctor to rule out reflux? Perhaps baby is sensitive to something in your diet (I can't recall if you've done an elimination diet or not)?

You cannot assume that you aren't making enough simply because baby is crying. Babies cry, some cry more than others. The only indication of true low milk supply is baby's failure to gain weight & from the stats you've given us, your baby is gaining really well. By offering formula, you might even be upsetting her tummy. Formula is pretty hard for them to digest.

Some babies have a very strong urge to suck. Some babies want to suck but get milk when they don't want it. Other babies simply want to suck on the breast non-stop. Pulling off or wanting to suck non-stop are not indications that mom's supply is low either. Perhaps when baby was crying so much the other night with her Daddy is because she wanted you?

Have you checked out the Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp? Some of his ideas may be helpful for you.

Stick with it.