Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please explain OALD.....

Exclamation Please explain OALD.....

I still am guessing at this.... so any and all information would be very useful for me. It began 3 weeks ago only on 1 side. Taylor would eat for 5 - 7 minutes and then all of a sudden start squirming, fussing, crying while on breast. She would tug back really far, when I break her latch, she would scream and cry at me. She does not choke or cough! I try to burp her and she get even more mad and cries to the point where she holds her breath. I try to put her back on and I get the fussing and tugging all over again. I have tried giving her the Gerber pacifier that acts like the breast and hold her close to me thinking perhaps she is satisfied and just need to snuggle....... nope!!!!! Not gonna happen.
    Now it is happening with the other side. She use to only drink from one side each feeding for 30 - 45 minutes...... but now only drinks for 5 minutes on both because I will switch her to the other side. After I pull her off, she will just scream at me. I am feeling like my only option is to give her formula. It is really begining to worry me since it is now happening to both sides!!!!
    Why 3 weeks after birth and why both sides now?
    Is it OALD?????????? If so, what can I do????
    If not...... what is it???
    Since birth she has had green diapers. Sometimes really loose, sometimes seedy and sometimes quite thick. It is rare for her to have a "mustard color" diaper.
    PLEASE HELP!!!! LLL leader I called does not seem to want to help!
    Last edited by mamajenn; February 22nd, 2006 at 04:37 PM.

Default Re: Please explain OALD.....

Are you letting down about the time that she lets go? Is she trying to stimulate your let down? IS her latch comfortable to you and to her? Just a few questions to try to figure out what is going on.

I'm sorry you had that experience with someone you called for help, Jenn. Feel free to PM me to discuss this further.

OALD...this is when a mothers milk rushes forth really fast with the letdown. It usually is related to oversupply. For some mothers, the symptoms in baby can appear around 3-6 weeks of age. Some symptoms of OALD are:
    • Baby gasps, chokes, sputters, coughs, or strangles as though the milk is coming out too fast

• Baby is gassy, "colicy", or frequently spits up

• Baby clamps down on the nipple (to slow the milk flow)

• Baby expresses a dislike for comfort nursing

• Baby "wrestles" at the breast (feeding is like an Olympic sport)

• Baby comes on the breast, pulls off, cries as if starving, goes back on nipple, cries...

Does any of this sound familiar?

Here is a very good resource:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Oct95p69a.html
    And you can find more related articles here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html

This is NOT a LLL resource (Diane Wiessinger, the author, is a LLL Leader):
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...e/gulping.html

Jolie,
    Thank you for your willingness to help. It was very disapointing this morning to call a LLL leader and have her pretty much blow me off and tell me "I do not know what you should do, I can not help you, so you should look into talking to someone at the hospital where you gave birth." and this is suppose to be a "local" leader!!! I do not know what you mean by "Feel free to PM me to discuss this further." Do you mean IM????
    To tell you the truth, just before I read your reply I was crying to my husband and ready to give Taylor formula. He of course supports me in whatever decision I choose and has been dealing with her fussiness all night, so feels that "bf is not worth this stress and upset". I of course had to deal with her crying all day long after feedings.
    This is what I expierence with her:
    is gassy, expresses a dislike for comfort nursing, comes on the breast, pulls off, cries as if starving, goes back on nipple, cries...

From reading the articles to the links you sent me, I believe we are dealing with OALD. Especially after reading other mother's experiencing fussiness in between feedings, green diapers that are often - Taylor NEVER has a diaper change that does not have green poo in the diapers. she is always gassy. I have recently been using a lot of Gripe water for her stomach upset.

Now...... I would love to have more advice on how to deal with this. I understand the problem is that she is getting enough hind milk. Most of the links state that the solution is to take her off the breast when I fell let down, but I do not feel let down EVER so what do I do then? I feel let down at times, but never when she is on the breast. How do I help her with this if I can not feel it myself? When she eat, I do lay back and allow her to drink from above me, that has not helped so far (have been doing this for 3 days now).
    Should I pump before I feed her? If so, how long? HELP HELP HELP!!!! I want to continue to BF if I can, but I can not go through the crying all the time and her aggrevation with my breast, the lack of sleep, and the frustration of the whole family.

Thank you again!

HI! I'm sorry you had that awful experience with the leader. It must have been extremely frusterating! I'm a first time mom myself and I can't imagine going through what you did and then have no support where you were supposed to have had it. I don't have much experience with OALD but please check back frequently because there are many women on this forum who have a wealth of knowledge to share with you. I know right now, formula is looking good, but I want to encourage you to stick with it and try to resolve this problem before making up your mind to switch. Breastfeeding is a wonderful experience and it does get easier... there's a steep learning curve for all new moms and you are not alone! Know also that LLL is there to support the mom first and foremost. I hope that your first experience does not sour you of the organization. Is there another group locally you can go to or call? If not, there are online meetings that provide a great deal of support and information. Good luck!

P.S. PM means to send her a personal message. YOu can do this by clicking on her name and selecting that option.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by mamajenn
    Jolie,
    Thank you for your willingness to help. It was very disapointing this morning to call a LLL leader and have her pretty much blow me off and tell me "I do not know what you should do, I can not help you, so you should look into talking to someone at the hospital where you gave birth." and this is suppose to be a "local" leader!!! I do not know what you mean by "Feel free to PM me to discuss this further." Do you mean IM????
    I'm so sorry to hear that. As Fezzik pointed out (thanks, Fezzik!) you can send me a private message by clicking on my username and selecting that option.

To tell you the truth, just before I read your reply I was crying to my husband and ready to give Taylor formula. He of course supports me in whatever decision I choose and has been dealing with her fussiness all night, so feels that "bf is not worth this stress and upset". I of course had to deal with her crying all day long after feedings.
    (((hugs)))

Now...... I would love to have more advice on how to deal with this. I understand the problem is that she is getting enough hind milk. Most of the links state that the solution is to take her off the breast when I fell let down, but I do not feel let down EVER so what do I do then? I feel let down at times, but never when she is on the breast. How do I help her with this if I can not feel it myself? When she eat, I do lay back and allow her to drink from above me, that has not helped so far (have been doing this for 3 days now).
    Should I pump before I feed her? If so, how long? HELP HELP HELP!!!! I want to continue to BF if I can, but I can not go through the crying all the time and her aggrevation with my breast, the lack of sleep, and the frustration of the whole family.
    '

Do you mind if I ask a couple of questions? About how many wet and poopy diapers does your baby have per 24 hours? What was your baby's lowest weight? What is it now? How many times per 24 hours does your baby nurse?

You should know that many mothers don't feel letdown. You can take your baby off the breast if you notice she is gulping or struggling to keep up with the flow. You can just let the excess milk spray into a towel or burp cloth, then put her back on the breast.

I'm glad to hear the Australian position (baby is "down under"...get it? ) is working for you.

You don't *have* to pump before you feed her. Many mothers find the best option for them is just to let the excess spray into a towel as stated above. If you wanted to try pumping or hand expressing before feeding, you could express just until the initial letdown. The milk flow will be slower from then on out.

You are not alone!
    Around the same age my baby started choking, squirming, crying, having terrible gas and I had way too much milk. I guess now that it was just coming in more at that time. I called the doctor every couple of days, cried, and wanted to quit bf. My milk would squirt and choke the baby so bad I became paranoid about aspiration pneumonia or something crazy like that. After many tries to do different things, I finally just kept on with it, even thiugh it was a terrible month or so. I was NOT going to give up bf as much as I wanted to! I also wanted to throw in the towel and use formula. Try this: don't sqeeze or put pressure on your breast. Try to touch it as little as possible to avoid compressing the milk sinuses and making more milk come out. Don't pump first because that will increase your supply even more. The baby on top position didn't work for me I think because I have large brests, but if it works, cool. If not, try laying down on your side in the bed and feeding like that. Listen to your baby's swallows. If they become real fast, or you hear gulping, break away for a sec and let some milk squirt out. The side lying also helps cuz as soon as the baby opens his/her mouth, the excess will come out of the mouth. Also, my doctor said to burp often, and elevate the baby. This made the most difference with the gas. My baby never was (and still isn't) a good burper. I kept him elevated almost always, but definitely for 30 min after each feeding. This sucked because I got less sleep, and then sometimes he would wake up and want to eat again, and then I had to start the 30 min over again. This was also the time when I found out that dairy and anything with grease in it was bothering him. Milk, butter, yogurt, fried foods, cookies- my diet became soooooo bland. This did help with weight loss! I hope you can try some of these things and see what helps. I recommend one new intervention each 24-48 hours with the foods. Don't give up! your milk will regulate eventually.
    My son is now 7 months old and things are awesome. I finally quit leaking around December though. Bf isn't easy for all. It wasn't for me, but just remember all the rewards. My son tripled his birth weight and has never been sick. Hang in there!

do you mind if I ask a couple of questions? No, anything to help me through this will be great! I will answer whatever questions you need.......
    About how many wet and poopy diapers does your baby have per 24 hours? I change her diapers every 2 1/2 to3 1/2 hours and there is always poo in it. She only has about 2 diapers a day that are just poo and the rest are wet.
    What was your baby's lowest weight? 6.4 at birth, then went to 4.9 oz by 2nd week started waking her up every up every 2 hours and feeding her as she was only eating every 6 hours.....
    What is it now? 7.4 when I went for the 5 week check up.
    How many times per 24 hours does your baby nurse?From 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM she nurses every 2 hours. This has not changed from 2 weeks of age. She did have a few days where she nursed every hour, but for the most part every 2 hours. At night she will usually nurse at 2:00 AM & 4:30 AM. Again, she did have a few nights where she nursed every hour.
    You should know that many mothers don't feel letdown. You can take your baby off the breast if you notice she is gulping or struggling to keep up with the flow. You can just let the excess milk spray into a towel or burp cloth, then put her back on the breast. I have tried to listen to her today while feeding and when I hear her gulping I release the latch - but I do not have any spray coming out! When I put pressure on my breast some light colored milk comes and and some dark colored milk as well. But again - no spray!

I'm glad to hear the Australian position (baby is "down under"...get it? ) is working for you. I do not find this working for me. I would think after 4 nights now I would notice a difference and have not noticed any difference at all.

You don't *have* to pump before you feed her. Many mothers find the best option for them is just to let the excess spray into a towel as stated above. If you wanted to try pumping or hand expressing before feeding, you could express just until the initial letdown. The milk flow will be slower from then on out. Since I am seeing no "excess spray" should I pump? Perhaps pump 1/2 oz? I can only get 1 oz from a pump any way!!! I am still unclear as to when let down would be? Are you saying it is when things stops shooting of while pumping? Yesterday and today I have tired the approach of having her eat only from one side for at least 7 hours at a time. So far, there has not been too much improvement, she still seams to be fussy after feedings. But - she has not pulled away too much from my breast. Only a few times..... Perhaps it is because I have been giving her Gripe water after each feeding??? She still has green poo today and still gets very upset when it is time for her to poo.....

Any and all advice is greatly appreicated! You all have been a great relief!!!

Hang in there! Things will get better. I too have OALD. I found that feeding dd in a semi-upright position and block feeding helped. I was given the same advice as you, but never saw any spray. DD learned to deal with it by pulling off and/or bending my nipple to stop the milk. She has gotten used to the flow now and is better at keeping up.

Good luck!

What is Block feeding?