Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How will I continue to BF after 1 year?

Default How will I continue to BF after 1 year?

Hey ladies

My DS is only 9 months but I'm trying to think ahead since I foresee a problem.

I go back to work when he is 1 year old. Literally the day after his 1st birthday. I work 2 day 12 hour shifts, 2 night 12 hour shifts, then I'm off for 5 days. I've used some of my vacation for when I go back so I dont work my last night until December. So I work 2 days, 1 night then 6 off until December 15th.

My question is how do I continue to BF? During the day I'm sure DH can bring DS to my work to BF at lunch time, maybe at supper too (my shifts are 7-7) but I work as an RN on a busy surgical floor and I cannot see getting away more than once/twice a shift to BF him and probably will not have time to pump...unless I dont want to eat, which of course I do!!

For night shifts, I should be able to pump since they tend to be a little less hectic.

My fear is that so far DS hates bottles and will not take them. Plus he has reflux and spits up alot. I'm worried that with this decrease in breastfeeding he will just eat less and end up losing weight!!!! I fear uping his solids as well since he tends to spit them up worse than just breast milk.

Do you think if I breastfeed before work around 6am, then lunch 12noon, supper 5pm, then when I get home around 8pm and through the night on demand, it will be enough?? He usually only eats once through the night but I'm sure that could change at any moment.

Also how will nights work? I'm afraid he wont take a bottle for DH!!

I wish I could just be a SAHM!!!!!!!!
    DS 10/09/10 7lbs 11 oz

Default Re: How will I continue to BF after 1 year?

Have you introduced a sippy cup? Or even a real cup?? I think if your DH brings your DS in a couple times during the day he should be able to manage! He may even drink BM out of a bottle or cup if he has to since you won't be there. DD always just drank enough so she wasn't starving! I would talk to HR, they should be able to work with you to get an extended break time, even if it means part of your break off the clock. You could look into a hands free pumping bra, that way you can eat while you pump!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

First off, for planning to nurse past 1 year. At that age, you absolutely should be able to easily BF and go back to work. I work only two 12 hour shifts a week, but started back to work after each of my LO's were only 4 months old. With DS (now 3.5 years) I was able to completely pump wean shortly after a year, and I plan to do the same with DD in a few weeks. DD has never taken to bottles well, but she makes up for it at night while we co-sleep. Currently I pump once a day during my lunch break. I use a double electric pump. In your case if you don't own a pump already, I would just rent one since you won't need it for very long. To save time, I assemble all my pump parts onto the bottles at home and carry them in a clean Ziploc bag. That way, all I have to do is hook up to the pump. When done, I just take the bottles off, cap them and toss everything back into the ziploc and into the fridge. I also use a hand's free system so I can eat or use the phone while I pump. BTW, while I don't work in human medicine, I do work at a busy emergency veterinary clinic. When I say "lunch break," that term is unfortunately applied loosely. Many days that means a 15min break between cases.

You could try a sippy cup. My DD has refused bottles since we got really good at nursing (about 3 months old), but we fortunately discovered a couple months ago that she will happily take breastmilk from a sippy. (And only breastmilk. She pretends to drink water, but won't really. ) BTW, we use Nuby sippies and she seems to like them fine. Others on here seem to recommend the straw-type sippies a lot, but I haven't tried them.

I think the amount of day nursing you describe sounds like it should be enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if she wakes up more at night, if not just to nurse, but also because she misses you and wants to reconnect.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Not only will it be enough if you manage 4 times in a 12hour shift, BUT by the 12month point your body can be trusted to work when together. I went back to work after being home for 14months and while it wasn't 12hour shifts, I was away from my child for 9-10m hours a day five days a week forever after very suddenly and there was no where for me to pump. My child ate solids and drank water out of a sippy cup while away and we continued to nurse while together. For another 3 years. Also a lot should change in the next 3 months in terms of solids intake. And if you haven't already, you should spend some time working on solids. Because they are important and you have 3 pressure free months to *Play* but by the year point there should definitely be solids in the mix. There is a growth spurt at 14 or 16months and trust me when I tell you, it's NOT something you want to soley responsible for.
    So focus on solids and worry less about supply. I think the diligence you are planning will be MORE than enough. Even if you get the baby twice in 12hours it will be enough. Your child will keep it up. The first year molars will see to that.

Way too lazy for formula

I went back to work at 1 year with DD1 and am facing this with DD2 next month. I've introduced a sippy with water and will introduce milk 2 weeks before I go back. I was often away for over 12 hours (I commute to work and often have overtime). We'd nurse when I got home, before bed, dream nurse at night and before I'd go to work in the morning. My supply held up just fine.

We only got to 17 months, but I was pregnant with DD2 and my supply took a nose dive. If we didn't get pregnant and if my overtime hadn't been stupid (there were days I wouldn't even see DD1 ), I'm sure we would have nursed longer.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I too am an RN and work on a very busy unit. My son is almost 22 months and I went back to work when he was 5 weeks old. I have managed to pump at work and am proud to say my son has never had a drop of formula and is still breastfeeding many times a day!
    I REALLY DO understand your concerns! I work 3 12 hour shifts a week (dayshift) usually all in a row.
    I have a Medela Pump In Style that I have made my best friend from the get go, and a Simple Wishes hands free pumping bra that I use sometimes.
    Here's what I do at work, maybe it'll hekp you some. (BTW, having your son brought up to you at work sounds wonderful. I don't have that option. My son has HAD to take bottles of my milk so I have no advice there i'm afraid.) (I wish I couls SAHM too)

We co sleep. My son nurses a few times during the night. He also drinks water from adult cups without a problem now.
    I nurse my son in the morning when my alarm goes off... like 430am. Then he snuggles with dad and falls back asleep.
    I hook my pump in style up with hands free bra and either sit it on bathroom counter and pump while i'm blowdrying my hair or while i'm driving to work (I use battery pack and sit it in passenger seat. That way i'm all pumped when I get to work.
    I pump at like 9-10 am (my "15 min break") and eat snacks/breakfast while i'm pumping.
    I pump/lunch (my "30 min break" for lunch) at like 2-3 pm (Heat food up in breakroom, wash/sterilize stuff (I use steam clean bags from Medela) and then I go eat while i pump again)
    I occasionally take a break in the afternoons and pump/snack at like 5 pm. If I don't get a chance, I pump right after I clock out, and eat a snack.
    Then I have an hour drive home... I go home, shower immediately, then nurse my son before dinner@9pm.
    I got to bed late, as does my son. He nurses to sleep at like 1030 pm.

My coworkers are decent about my pumping because I don't abuse my time away from my patients and try to leave patients in good shape before I take breaks. I also in some way try to help out my coworkers (maybe by giving them longer breaks or helping with heavy patient loads)

I have had some coworkers who were downright crappy about it. I'm not gonna lie. But thats their problem! They take their smoke breaks, right? : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

I agree. I am also a RN working 2-3 12 hour shifts and had no problem pumping at work. Granted I work on a post partum unit so the breastfeeding is really encouraged. I too liked to pump right before work just in a case I got too busy with morning meds and assessments. Then I pumped at around 930-10 during a 15 min break. Pump again during lunch (around 1) and once more around 5. I think I was a little obsessive with my pumping schedule but nursing was so important to me. Now that Layla is over a year I don't feel as crazy about it. She never really took bottles well for me but she will usually take a cup.

Unfortually even in my field breastfeeding beyound one is somewhat frowned on. I feel like everytime I leave the lactation room I get at least 3 comments from co-workers about STILL pumping. I found snacking makes pumping easier for me. Things like string cheese, Luna bars and fruit work good when you hands are full.

Good luck

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    BTW, we use Nuby sippies and she seems to like them fine. Others on here seem to recommend the straw-type sippies a lot, but I haven't tried them.
    Nuby sippies are wonderful!! We had the most success with the munchkin mighty grip sippers at first. DD wouldn't take anything but those until she was 15 months, now she will drink out of only nuby cups.
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lewsmommy View Post
    I agree. I am also a RN working 2-3 12 hour shifts and had no problem pumping at work. Granted I work on a post partum unit so the breastfeeding is really encouraged. I too liked to pump right before work just in a case I got too busy with morning meds and assessments. Then I pumped at around 930-10 during a 15 min break. Pump again during lunch (around 1) and once more around 5. I think I was a little obsessive with my pumping schedule but nursing was so important to me. Now that Layla is over a year I don't feel as crazy about it. She never really took bottles well for me but she will usually take a cup.

Unfortually even in my field breastfeeding beyound one is somewhat frowned on. I feel like everytime I leave the lactation room I get at least 3 comments from co-workers about STILL pumping. I found snacking makes pumping easier for me. Things like string cheese, Luna bars and fruit work good when you hands are full.

Lol.. I work in a NICU and of course breastfeeding is encouraged here too... and I also get several comments a week about STILL pumping after a year. It gets old... but my kid is more important to me than the comments. There are a few really nice people I work with that make sure they always comment about how lucky my baby is and what a great mom I must be to still be pumping and so thats nice.. they always do it in front of the people who make the snide comments. I love them!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09