Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying at the breast, not staying latched

Default Crying at the breast, not staying latched

My LO has been doing fine latching on but for the last day or so is intermittently crying inconsolably at the breast after only latching on for a few minutes. As a back story, I am only nursing on the left and pumping the right due to severe damage and pain on my right side so she has been getting a bottle after she nurses on the left for about 2 days now. I really wish I could avoid giving her the bottle but I don't think she would get enough to eat off the left side alone. She has almost always eaten off both breasts since the beginning. I have had an overactive letdown on that side since the start and wonder if that is starting to go away and she is getting frustrated because the milk isn't coming as fast.

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to stay at the breast longer and not scream? I would love to be able to just feed her off of the one breast and not give her a bottle at all but when I have weighed her after she has eaten from left the most she has gotten is 2 1/2 ounces which isn't really enough at 10 weeks. She is in the 75th percentile for weight and height so she is growing well but I don't want that to change. Is there anyway I can convert her to a single breast nurser, at least for a while? Thank you

Kristen

Default Re: Crying at the breast, not staying latched

Same issues here. I'm thinking mine is due to colick.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buckeyebaby2011 View Post
    Is there anything I can do to encourage her to stay at the breast longer and not scream? I would love to be able to just feed her off of the one breast and not give her a bottle at all but when I have weighed her after she has eaten from left the most she has gotten is 2 1/2 ounces which isn't really enough at 10 weeks. She is in the 75th percentile for weight and height so she is growing well but I don't want that to change. Is there anyway I can convert her to a single breast nurser, at least for a while? Thank you
    Are you familiar with the idea of using a supplemental nursing system like this http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...ing-system-sns ? It's a way to help a baby who wants a faster flow get some immediate gratification. It would also allow you to supplement with the milk you pump from the right while nursing simultaneously on the left. That will also build your supply on the left so that she can get more for as long as you need to be a one-sided nurser to allow the right to heal. It's not real cheap and there is a learning curve, but that's what jumped to my mind in answer to your question. It definitely helped my son a lot when he was learning to nurse (entirely different issue, of course). You can also use the tube to finger feed pumped milk and avoid the bottle in that way as well.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I actually have a SNS that I got from the hospital as well as several supplies for making my own version of one that we used in the hospital. I hadn't thought to try that since I know what a pain it was in the hospital and I never could figure out how to do it myself. May have to try it again though. Tonight she nursed a little better and was able to take 2 ounces. I nursed her only without supplementing EBM for the last several hours of the day. I nursed her more frequently than previously because she isn't getting as much out of one breast as she has been used to but hopefully my supply will increase on that side and she will be able to take more in from the one breast.
    Thank you

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    I also think it would be better to look at her output rather than weight gain, as those weight gain charts, unless it its the WHO's breastfed baby one, are made factoring in babies who eat (exclusively) high-calorie artificial milk. Counting nappies will be more useful. Also weight can be misleading as it's different depending on how much food is in the belly, whether LO has just pooed or not, etc. Output is reliable regardless of the time of day or amount that has been eaten prior to measuring. Check Kellymom for the nappy count and weight gain charts
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Thank you for your replies. At the moment i am feeding only on the left and not offering the pumped milk from the right unless she absolutely seems to need it. The last couple of times she has seemingly been satisfied just from the left breast so maybe my supply is increasing a bit on that side. I will have to do a few more pre and post feed weights to see where we stand. She is nursing a little more frequently because she is getting less at each feed but I can handle that. At least today she is nursing appropriately and not crying at the breast. I wonder if this whole situation was complicated by her two month shots that she got yesterday, although it started before that. I am writing down when she feeds and her diaper output for the next couple of days while I am only feeding off the left breast to ensure that she is taking in enough milk.