Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 weeks old no longer latching well

Default 2 weeks old no longer latching well

My two week old was a great nurser but the last two days he has not wanted to latch or acts like he doesn't know how to. I had an oversupply but now my breast are more floppy so maybe he has nipple confusion now that my supply is regulated to his needs? How to I help him through this?? I'm really emotional today and can't stop crying because I want this to work. Please help.

Default Re: 2 weeks old no longer latching well

Are you giving him bottles?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

No & he won't take a pacifier at all.

Ok, so when you say he's not latching anymore, what do you mean? Does he latch on and get angry? How many wet diapers are you seeing per day?
    Tracie

Mommy to

When I put him to my breast he will move his head from side to side and open his mouth but he won't clasp and latch on. Then if I do get him latched he will nurse for about 5 minutes and then gets angry and kick his legs etc. I think he has gas in his tummy--I give him gas drops with every feeding, do exercises with his legs, burp him after a feeding etc. It seems like when he is awake, he cries non-stop. I just had a nursing session that lasted from 12:20-2pm and I think he actually got a good 5 minutes of good nursing on each breast during that whole time. I don't know if my supply is down??? What makes it harder is I have my 5 & 6 yr old home with me and I feel like I am neglecting them by all of these long feeding/crying sessions...i feel guilty if I can't give them quality time and I'm ready to throw in the towel with nursing and switch to pumping but then I feel guilty if I do that..

He has plenty of wet diapers. His poop are small amounts but he does have at least 4 of those a day.

If he has plenty of wet diapers and he is pooping well (and it sounds like he is!), then he is getting enough to eat. I don't think your supply is down...

Do you think you could actually have oversupply? and overactive letdown? Maybe the milk is coming out too fast for him. What color is his poop?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Tracie

Mommy to

My breasts feel floppy and small so I don't think it's oversupply anymore (I thought it was last week because I was so engorged and I would pump 5 minutes after he would eat but I stopped that on Friday). He has yellow seedy diapers still. He doesn't gulp like he did last week when I had an overactive let down. I wonder if he is just colicky?

It's hard to say. And he's a newborn and they cry a lot. It sounds like everything is going well with the breastfeeding. You can have oversupply and not feel engorged, but it doesn't sound like he's having any issues with getting too much foremilk or anything like that.

My youngest would scream on and off from roughly 3 pm to 7 or 8 pm for several weeks. I don't know why it started and I was just thankful when it stopped.

Tracie

Mommy to

Also, you said something about a long nursing session... my first daughter would nurse on and off all day long. At 2 weeks old she was probably latched on 20 out of 24 hours. But it got better.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I ran him up to the drs office for a weight check and he's gaining. On friday he was 8lb 4 oz and today he is 8lb 12 oz. I just wish he wasn't so colicky all day long.