Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to LLLI and need help!

Default New to LLLI and need help!

Hi, I am a mother of 2 (9 year old boy and 7 month old daughter). I was not able to nurse my son because of lack of support and knowledge. I have been using only breast milk with my daughter and am quite proud of myself (if I can say that ) My problem is this: My supply of frozen milk is down to the last few bags and I have not been able to keep up with pumping twice a day at work. Any day I am going to run out. What do I do? I feel like I should let my mom (who watches her during the day) give her formula but on the other hand I feel like I should do more. I am very stressed out in general because both my husband and I work full-time at jobs that do not have regular schedules. I started reading about formula and just get worried about feeding it to her. I don't really know what to do and am down to the wire here. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Default Re: New to LLLI and need help!

Why can't you pump twice a day? Where do you live? Your right to pump is protected in almost every state. I would find a way to be more diligent about pumping. Can you talk to us about the challenges you are having so we can help you over come them?

Way too lazy for formula

I went through the same thing at about that time. I had a freezer full and it eventually just ran out! How does she do with a sippy cup? Will she drink water out of it? You could try giving her water in place of one of her bottles while you are at work. Maybe adding in another pumping session would help as well. We tried goats milk at that age, but she hated it. I eventually got to the point where the milk I pumped at work was what she drank the next day. Usually she wanted more though. How long do you have until it will be gone? I think around 9 months we put a little cows milk in her bottles, which is a no-no ( an ounce cows milk to 4 ounces BM). I looked into a milk bank too. If there is one around you that could be a possibility! Or if you know someone with an oversupply?
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

It is not a problem with my work...they have been more than accommodating. I work for a small family firm and they support whatever I decide to do. My problem is that I really don't have a regular schedule so I am never really sure when I am able to pump. I am a funeral director so my days are not easily planned. Should I start pumping at night after she falls asleep? I am usually pumping about 8-10oz at work and was pumping before she woke up in the morning but that pumping session is slowly going away as she is getting up earlier and nursing. My mom is giving her three 4oz bottles when I am gone and giving her two cubes of baby food in the morning and then I am nursing her at all other times and giving her two cubes of food in the evening. I am just really stressing out that I only have six 4oz bottles of frozen left and no fresh milk for the next day. As I am researching online I am hand pumping every half hour or so with little luck (does it take a few days?).

She really is not into a sippy cup. We tried a couple different kinds. We can keep trying. She really like water though! If I replace one of her bottles with water will she lose any nourishment?

You don't want to give her too much water, but 4 oz a day should be fine. You could try giving her more baby food too or a couple crackers or baby snacks every day to help fill her up a little!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

But you should just carve the pumping session into your day. In the same way that you carve in meals. Giving up your pumping sessions is detrimental to everything. Because not only are you providing the milk for you child the next day you are ALSO maintaining your supply. If you just let the sessions go, then your body won't make the milk and then you will eventually struggle with feeding her while you are together on your days off. Because it's all supply and demand. Don't let pumping be an option. Put it on your to do list in the morning and make room for it. I understand a not predictable day, but find a way to make pumping no negotiable. And if you were shooting for it at 1pm and you don't get to it until 2 pm, OK. That's not what you planned but you still got it done. There is also the option of pumping while driving 2 and from work. There is a pump kit that allows that, But I would still be really concerned about having an entire 8hour period where you body get no signal to make milk. 7 months is still so young.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks! I only have two days left. I was unable to pump today so she doesn't have any fresh milk for tomorrow so three of the six I have left will be gone (unless I can sneak a pumping in in the early AM). My hubby gets home from work at 4:30, maybe I will have him wake me up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aynasmommy View Post
    You don't want to give her too much water, but 4 oz a day should be fine. You could try giving her more baby food too or a couple crackers or baby snacks every day to help fill her up a little!
    I actually disagree, 4 oz per day is a lot, too much IMHO for a 7 month old. OP I empathize with your situation. I have a job that has me in important meetings, etc as well. You may not want to hear this but I'm being your cheerleader, you have to MAKE the time to pump. Buy extra flanges, set up your pump right when you get to work, get a hands free pumping bra and commit to it. I pump while answering emails a lot, but I also am a clock watcher and when I have 10 minutes I make myself pump. When I was pumping for my oldest son, I also pumped while driving to and from work.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    But you should just carve the pumping session into your day. In the same way that you carve in meals. Giving up your pumping sessions is detrimental to everything. Because not only are you providing the milk for you child the next day you are ALSO maintaining your supply. If you just let the sessions go, then your body won't make the milk and then you will eventually struggle with feeding her while you are together on your days off. Because it's all supply and demand. Don't let pumping be an option. Put it on your to do list in the morning and make room for it. I understand a not predictable day, but find a way to make pumping no negotiable. And if you were shooting for it at 1pm and you don't get to it until 2 pm, OK. That's not what you planned but you still got it done. There is also the option of pumping while driving 2 and from work. There is a pump kit that allows that, But I would still be really concerned about having an entire 8hour period where you body get no signal to make milk. 7 months is still so young.
    Thanks for that encouragement. I really am losing the desire to pump at work when I have so much else to do. Thank you for reminding me it is possible with planning. She is still young which is why I was freaking out, for lack of better words, when I was reading about formula. My drive to work is only 5 minutes. I think I will just keep going with my two pumpings a day and try and get a third in at night when she is sleeping. She has been sleeping through the night for quite a while now so I think I can add one in there. These next couple days are going to be rough.