Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sucking then screaming - help

Default Sucking then screaming - help

I don't have a chance to check through posts and can only type a quick one, one handed!

My 7 week old cries a great deal and my nurse said he possibl has reflux. Usually the only was to quiet him is to feed him.

As of lasi night he has started writhing around while feeding, before coming off and screaming. He has gotten worse today and will only suck for 2 mins at a time before screaming. I juist fed him for 20 mins altogether, punctuated by screaming, but I din't think he swallowed much milk.

My milk is not gushing out so I doubt it's OALD. It's breaking my heart that he doesn't want to breastfeed and I'm worried he's hungry!

Please help! He's still screaming in my arms now!

Default Re: Sucking then screaming - help

I'm bumping this up for you even though I don't have any great advice. I do remember my little one doing things like that. It kind of just stopped and we never figured out what it was. Could it be a growth spurt and he is a tad frustrated that the supply hasn't increased yet (which it will!) If that is the case, it is really important to NOT supplement with formula because your body needs to know to make more. That's all I can think of......how is it going now?

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties. My baby (dob 2-23-06) did the exact same thing at about that age. (He's my 3rd and my first 2 did not have this problem) Let me preface this by saying, this was OUR experience, I'm not attempting to diagnose. I did not think my son had reflux due to the fact that he did not spit up very much; however because he was having so much trouble I decided to consider that that was the problem. After MUCH delaying, I agreed to try him on Zantac, per the doctor's instructions, and it made a world of difference. I gave him half the recommended dose and that was enough for him. I only had to give it to him for 4 weeks and then the problem disappeared. Also, the LC whom I finally saw feels like this undiagnosed reflux problem could have been what led us into thrush for a three months. (The change in the Ph of the mouth, acidity, etc) Although I shuttered at the thought of giving my newborn medicene that early, it came down to "what does he need in order to allow him to nurse and not be in pain?" As I say, this is the road we went down. Seek wise advice and decide what is best for you and your baby. I will pray that you find an answer to this challange.

Another suggestion might be burps. My DS has TERRIBLE trouble with burps. Always has. He also had reflux and was being treated with Zantac until 5mo old. But even so, he would scream sometimes unexplainably. I found that when I thought I had all of the burps out, there were sometimes still more. He would scream and cry when going onto the breast because there were burps already trapped in there and it hurt him to drink. Maybe try burping alot throughout the day pat, pat, pat, pat, pat and see if you have any luck. Sometimes it would take me FOREVER to get one out becuase they were so darned deep in there. I felt so bad for him! Hope this helps?....

I agree with pp..Burps! Try burping him throughout your nursing session...also it may be OALD...my milk didn't really gush unless he was sucking...but then it came out REALLY fast...just a thought. you could try block feeding just to see?? I just do 2 feeds in a row on one side. Let us know how it goes!

My DD also exhibited this behavior and we never quite figured out the problem. Sometimes I think she had gas pains. Sometimes a bad burp would be trapped and she'd be better if I could get it out. It's always temtping to assume that you may not have enough milk, but I doubt this is the case. Hang in there! Gotta run, my LO awoke from her nap!

I've got to agree with the burps as well!! I do remember some screaming and then relief after a burp!! So, my vote is for one of the two: growth spurt or gas