Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help , milk partially thawed!

Default Help , milk partially thawed!

While we were rushing out of the house this afternoon to make it to swimming on time, DS was begging for a popsicle..... When we got home this evening I found the freezer door partially ajar. About 80oz of frozen BM was in there and it is now partially thawed (most bags still have large frozen chunks in them, but others are approx 50% liquid). Do I have to throw it all out, or is it still okay? DD is almost 12 months old if that makes a difference.

Default Re: Help , milk partially thawed!

I've heard that only fully thawed bm has a 24hr clock on it. If it's still mostly frozen it's still good
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

It will be OK. I had a similar thing happen a few years ago. I pulled out the bags that were mostly thawed and left the ones that were mostly frozen in the freezer. Then I used those bags as soon as I could.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan for your response. I ended up just refreezing all of the milk since DH is working a lot this next week, and DD will not take a bottle from me. I'm keeping the bags that were more thawed separate from the others, and may just give them as momsicles to help with teething. I plan to start offering whole cow's milk in a few weeks. If she likes it, I am hoping to be able to pump wean soon. Even so, I felt like crying when I found all that milk partially thawed. I'm so glad I don't have to toss it.