Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sad! Do I Need to Supplement at Night?

Unhappy Sad! Do I Need to Supplement at Night?

My 7 week old DD has a miserable time breastfeeding at night. During the day breastfeeding goes beautifully, and I feel like there is plenty of milk. When it gets to be about 8:00 at night she begins to cluster feed and all hell breaks loose. My breast feel very soft, and I feel like there is not enough milk to satisfy her. I know that you have a continual supply of milk and that you can never be "empty." I also know that some people can have slower let down at night. Even if there is milk, if she can't access it then we have a problem!

I feel that my DD is relatively patient, and she sucks and sucks and sucks but nothing comes out - no swallowing. Then she pulls off and screams. She is obviously hungry. My DH spends the next couple of hours distracting her, but she whimpers and makes hunger motions the entire time.

I REALLY don't want to give formula, but I don't won't my daughter to be miserable and hungry all night. I dread the evenings, and I can't imagine doing this for the next 10 months. I am definitely starting to feel inadequate.

Default Re: Sad! Do I Need to Supplement at Night?

She could be going though a growth spurt. THis happened to me and I felt like I didn't have enough milk for my LO...It lasted 3 days and then everything went back to normal. Let her suck as long as she wants and that will stimulate supply. Also, if she is crying lure her to sleep (if you can) and try and nurse her in her sleep. How is her weight gain and diapers?? That is really the best measure for if she is getting enough milk. If you are really worried...lots of moms swear that eating oatmeal increases supply. Also try to relax, so you are not inhiiting you let down...HTH Good luck. I wouldn't try formula just yet...just keep offering her breast.

Have you tired breast compressions OR pumping in the AM when You KNOW you have milk so that if you do have to supplement at night you can use your own milk?

We called it in our house the 6 O'Clock fussies (this started at 6 with her, not at 8) and she wanted nothing more than to nurse, and nurse, and nurse, etc....It was a growth spurt.

This sounds like another post I just answered!! It really must be a growth spurt and your body needs to know to make more milk so lots of nursing is good!! It will be finished soon....hang in there!!!

I've been keeping a log of bf times and wet/messy diapers to reassure myself that lo is eating enough. The one thing I've noticed is that she eats 10-12 times a day. But, in order to go 3 or 4 hours without eating, she needs to eat every hour at some other time of the day. And it seems the two go hand in hand. She eats every hour for a few hours and then sleeps for 3 or 4 hours. This happens in the evening and again in the early morning hours. She basically nurses herself to sleep but can only stay relaxed enough to sleep while she's nursing. So, we nurse for hours.

Once she lets go and starts screaming will she relatch? I just wondered what would happen if you let her nurse for those hours will she stay attached and be comforted or does she let go and start screaming and not relatch?