Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and Solids

Default BF and Solids

My daughter has been sucessfully eating solids since she was 6 months, she's now 10 months. We started with homemade purees, and she gobbled them up. At 8 months we went on vacation and had to feed her jarred baby food (Gross) and she of course completely rejected it, and then wanted to eat what we were eating. Since then she's been eating what ever we eat and wants nothing to do with purees.

She eats breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. And she also BFs every 2-3 hours sometimes sooner. In addition she takes water from a sippy cup, but mostly plays with it.

Is this normal for a bf baby? When would she start to drop nursing sessions? I DO NOT want to wean, just wondering if this is what other mom's experience as she's my first and I have a formula feeding mom friends.

Thanks,
    Mirkka

Default Re: BF and Solids

My son is about the same age and hasn't slowed down nursing at all. I think it's quite normal as they still get most of their nutrition from breastfeeding at this age.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Sounds normal to me. Both my girsl nursed every couple of hours during the day until around 18 months or so. My first barely touched solids until she was around 14-15 months old, and my first loved solids from 6 months on. There's a really wide range when it comes to how fast a baby transitions to a majority-solids diet and also in how soon they drop nursing sessions. I think that kids who really enjoy nursing tend to nurse more often into toddlerhood than kids who aren't as emotionally attached to the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO was exactly the same way up until the past month or so. I thought she would cut back nursing, but that hasn't changed yet. Instead, she's just getting pickier with solids
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks to all you mamas for your feedback. My DD LOVES bfing and her solids. Figured it was going well, just had one of those first-time-mom-always-paranoid moments. Thanks!

heres a very good analogy:
    a friend of mine got bypass. it's gone very wrong and now she;s got a feeding tube, which is the only way she can get food in her. but that doesnt stop her from ENJOYING food. she'd buy a small meal to eat, but the only surefire way to get nutrients is tthru the tube in her stomac tube. (she's getting that taken care of this week)

the way it is with BF'ed baby, is that they will always get the best stuff from the boob, and eating solids is just either for texture, taste or to partiipate. BM will always be their food while also enjoying solids
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing