Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush!

Default Thrush!

This late in the game

It hurts like crazy when he nurses and they itch like mad when he's not. I'm dreading bedtime.

Been using my APNO and taking extra probiotics. My Ob/Gyn isn't open tomorrow so I have to wait until Thursday to call her.

I don't have any questions. I just wanted to vent.

ETA: maybe I do have a question. Any other OTC remedies I can try?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Thrush!

My bout with thrush came late in the game too. Air drying my nipples, no soap, lotion, deodorant. it has been hot and sticky here in new york. has it been hot and sticky in Montreal too? I did not use any OTC's . I acknowledged the thrush and told it to go away. I then went to a lady who sold imported medicines from europe out of her kitchen. the medicine I used tasted like gritty oranges. I used the paste on my nipples and in my son's mouth. it worked!!!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

It's been hot and sticky here. I just spent the last four days out in the country and in the mountains though. Hot but not as humid. I'm pretty sure this started before we left though. It's been about a week where it would start to hurt if he nursed longer than a few minutes. By last night it was hurting right from the start and I can definitely see bumpy redness on both nipples. :'(
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Ugh, what a PITA! I got thrush last summer, so B was about 17 months at the time. Late for us too, we hadn't had it at all before that. Sorry you're dealing with this!

I can't remember what I used to clear it up ATM, but it was prescribed. The good news about a prescription is at least it'll feel better pretty much immediately, when you do get it.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Thanks

The APNO seems to be helping a little. Nursing him to sleep wasnt so bad tonight. Not great but better than yesterday.

DH kept laughing at me walking around the house topless. I don't know why it was so funny to him but I think it helped.
    Amanda