Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drinking bottle too fast

Default drinking bottle too fast

The other day DH fed DS a bottle while I was making dinner. He was done with 4 ounces in 5 minutes!!!! No wonder DS still cries after, he doesn't know that he is even full. None of the other nipples we have flow any slower. I am having DH and BIL (both of whom take care of DS while I am at work on different days) feed DS up to 6 ounces at a time. I know that he can't possibly need that much right now. What nipples do you suggest for slower flow? I saw somewhere someone talkign about nipples that feel to the baby like he is BFing. What are those kind? And are they any good?
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: drinking bottle too fast

They were probably talking about the breastflow bottle. You can find them on amazon.

What kind of nipples are you using? I'm using newborn flow and it takes my daughter about 20 minutes to eat 3ish ounces.

That is way too fast. Can you ask them to feed him 3 ounces and then put the pacifier in his mouth?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

i found that a lot of the bottles i used were too fast and they were the stage one... i ended up using the platex slow flow silicone nipple, but i think the latex kind causes it to flow even slower... when i swiched to fast flow it took a few times for my daughter to get used to it... its much faster

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    They were probably talking about the breastflow bottle. You can find them on amazon.

What kind of nipples are you using? I'm using newborn flow and it takes my daughter about 20 minutes to eat 3ish ounces.

That is way too fast. Can you ask them to feed him 3 ounces and then put the pacifier in his mouth?
    Thank you. I am using generic slow flow nipples, DH didn't like the others we have because they either leak or they collapse. I don't feed him from a bottle, so I don't know. I know DH does this, but says that DS still cries sometimes so he feeds him more. I just let my BIL know I wanted him to do this also. He says that he keeps feeding him because a baby won't over eat, but I told him I wanted him to give him some time anyway and kind of comfort him or give him a binkie before he gives him more. He fed him 18 ounces today and I pumped 12, so he used 6 ounces of my frozen milk!!! I only have 12 ounces left, out of 40 so I am really nervous that they keep using more than I pump.
    I will check out both of these options for nipples, maybe I will have them experiment more with the other nipples to see if they are slower first.

DS since 1/30/11

Here's a good link that might have some useful tips for you. Particularly the one about putting very small amounts in the bottle, but having a couple or three bottles available. That way baby can't suck it all down at once, he's sort of forced to pace himself by taking breaks between bottles.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firsttime View Post
    He says that he keeps feeding him because a baby won't over eat...
    That isn't strictly true. A baby at the breast won't overeat. A bottle fed baby can definitely overeat.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I am having DH and DCP use different nipples that we already have. BIL (who is the DCP) tried it today and said it seemed like it was a slower flow.

DS since 1/30/11