Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: high lipase - suggestions on how to pump more ounces?

Default high lipase - suggestions on how to pump more ounces?

I unfortunately discovered recently that I have high lipase. My frozen stash is all sour. My son is 9 months old and I am currently working 3 days per week. I am having a hard time keeping up with the milk requirements. I am at work from 830 - 230, I pump once at 12 and usually get 4-5 ounces. I also have started pumping in the morning and at night after he goes to bed and only get about an ounce per session. I am worried I wont have enough milk for him being that I cannot use my freezer stash. Can you recommend ways to increase my pumping output?
    Thanks!

Default Re: high lipase - suggestions on how to pump more ounces?

How much does he take while you are gone? And have you tried giving him the frozen milk? I wonder if you could mix it in with fresh, just a small amount...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He refuses to take any when I am gone if it was previously frozen. He will take up to 8 ounces (that's the most I have left) of fresh milk when I am gone. I haven't tried to mix because I am scared it will ruin the good milk. Think I can mix an ounce or two in?

Also, I do use hand compressions/massage while pumping.

I don't know. I would be scared to mix it in too. You might try a quarter of an ounce in two ounces and see how it goes.

Are you pumping on weekends? That will help you up your supply- both your freezer stash and allow you to pump more out on work days.

Also, how is his solid intake? Around that age I was giving my older daughter yogurt and that seemed like a fine alternative to milk. I didn't realize I had excess lipase when she was a baby and so she didn't drink very much milk from bottles.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I recently started a third meal and added meats. I will start giving yogurt...I have some baby yogurt in the fridge actually.
    I do usually pump 2x per day on the weekends. I really need to be more diligent though because sometimes I skip a day or two.
    Did you ever use the scalding technique before freezing?

I am pumping for my 6 month old now when I'm at work. I do scald any milk that I will freeze. It's a hassle at first, but it becomes part of the routine.

I scald it, then put it in an ice bath, then pour it into the freezer bags and pop it into the freezer.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Ok great. Maybe sometime soon I can build up enough to have some to actually scald and freeze. Do you just heat to 180 degrees then turn off, ice bath, freeze? And it doesn't sour?

I do it to 145F, in the bottles. Then I leave it for 1 minute longer, I don't let it get above 160 and then move it to the ice bath. I freeze the end of the week milk and rotate freezer stash on Mondays.
    Tracie

Mommy to