Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: home for the summer, continue bottles?

Default home for the summer, continue bottles?

Hi everyone! I am a teacher and home for the summer with my 4mo ds. He reversed cycled for a week when I went back to work, but then was taking bottles with ebm fine. Should I continue to have someone give him an occasional bottle while I am home for July and August? I absolutely HATE missing nursing sessions and try to avoid the bottle as much as possible. Do you think I can get away with a 2month bottle reprieve?

Default Re: home for the summer, continue bottles?

I would have your partner give him at least one bottle a day. But I struggled to get my daughter to take a bottle...

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My sister is also a teacher. She did express milk during the summer and she stored alot of it . She also did have her mother-in-law or her husband give an occasional bottle while she was getting her hair done or shopping. she gave a bottle about 3 times a week during the summer.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I would have your partner give him at least one bottle a day. But I struggled to get my daughter to take a bottle...
    This exactly.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I'd probably space it out and see that she's still okay taking it. If she's okay, space them longer, if she's starts to have issues, shorten the duration between.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I am a teacher too, and when I went to 4 days of professional development in late June after being out for 3 weeks, LO, while not objecting to the bottle, did not eat as much as he had when I had been working and was eating smaller amounts more frequently, which is more like BF. By the fourth day he was close to the patterns he had before I went on break. He did seem to cluster feed in the evenings when I was away. I honestly probably won't worry about it for the rest of the summer. I do have two more days of professional development in mid July, and if he is much worse about the bottles, I may have my husband give him a bottle every so often.

This is my third child, however, and I must admit that I am much more relaxed about everything.

Last summer I did the same thing about having my DH give him a bottle about once a week or so, when I had to go somewhere without him. He was 8 months old at the beginning of the summer though, so I didn't have to worry about pumping very much longer when school started back up. Your LO is younger than that, and you will have to pump longer, so I may have someone give him a bottle every few days. I wouldn't think you would have to do it every day. I did pump after sessions and get a lot stored up last summer, and I was able to stop pumping earlier as a result. You may want to pump and store.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Thank you everyone!

I will see how he does with a "once in a while" bottle and increase it if necessary.

It is definitely nice to take a break from the pump. Good luck mama.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Have you had a problem with your LO taking the bottle? If not, I'd really be tempted to toss them for now. Maybe keep some frozen milk around in case you want to go out, but if LO's been going back and forth fine, I'd quit pumping and bag a bottle unless it's necessary. But I really am not a big pumping fan!