Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It's time.

Default It's time.

I think the time has finally come for me to wean B. All along I've been waiting and wanting him to wean on his own terms, but I really don't see him doing that any time in the near future (meaning like, the next 6 months or so), and I'm done. Although I'm sad to be ending this chapter in our lives, I really feel at peace with my decision. So a couple days ago, I cut him down to just nursing in the morning and before bed. He's actually doing quite well, although he still asks when he's bored. And I'm not sure what to tell him. He'll stick his hand down my shirt and whine that he wants to nurse. When I say "not right now" or "not until bedtime" he asks "why?". And I'm really not sure what to say... I've just been telling him that that's when we nurse now, we don't nurse during the day anymore. Do you think this is a sufficent answer, or should I tell him something else? He's almost 2.5 so he understands quite a lot but I obviously don't want to offend him or make this any harder emotionally than it probably already is on him, as he is quite attatched. I offer something else to do/eat/drink when he asks to nurse, but he's not interested about 98% of the time.

Any tips?
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: It's time.

Congrats on nursing for so long.

When I was weaning Lilah, I just said we would nurse later, if it was true.

In the end, it seemed more emotionally difficult for me than her... she was 25 months old.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

No advice since I have yet to cross that bridge but I hope you and your LO get through it.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I found that taking them outside for a total distraction works really well! Also, I would highly recommend upping your other bonding times, like cuddles, reading books, etc.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    I found that taking them outside for a total distraction works really well! Also, I would highly recommend upping your other bonding times, like cuddles, reading books, etc.
    Good advice, thanks. I have been trying to snuggle him more often and just sit with him, but it always leads to him asking for 'nay-nay'.

my ds was a bit older than your lo but when I would sit down to give him my undivided attention i had at the ready a sipppy cup with diluted apple juice, and a puzzle or book to read together.He stopped asking for a week and then one day he demanded nay-nay poo-poos so I let him try nursing again , he took one sip made a face and told me it was old.
    that was the end.
    he is now 21 years old, goes to college, sleeps in his own room but does not STTN!!! LOL.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I am cutting out afternoon post nap nursing now and when she asks to nurse I say "We'll nurse after bathtime, do you want to play blocks or read a book?" (or two other things she enjoys. Sometimes she asks again, I give her choices and then she settles for one of them without a fuss. If she gets hurt or something and needs comfort from nursing I readily give her that, though.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I am right there with ya! My LO will be 2y in Sept and I have started the process. Right now we ni-nee before naps, before bed, and at night since she sleeps with us still. I have noticed her nursing more through the night since we have cut back but I am guessing this will lessen also aventually. Or at least I hope so anyway. In theory I would like to have her fully weaned and in her own bed all night by her bday in late sept, but we will see how it goes. If she asks inbetween I tell her not now we will after lunch or after bubble bath sometimes she wines so I will repeat it but other times she understands and just goes on with her business. Like you if she is hurt or need help settling down I will nurse. Good Luck!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Thanks llladies. I think part of the reason it's so hard for me to do, is because he is genuinely sad when I turn him down. It breaks my heart. He has been asking slightly less over the past couple days though, so hopefully he's starting to understand that I'm ONLY going to nurse him in the morning and at night.