Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas/tummy ache or hungry

Default Gas/tummy ache or hungry

Hello ladies! This is my first time posting. I am a ftm & don't know when my baby has gas. My mom has been stayin over when she can & says he has a tummy ache when it he's displaying textbook hunger cues--rooting, sucking his hands etc. How do I know the difference? I dont want to over feed him to the point that he gets sick.

Default Re: Gas/tummy ache or hungry

I have the same question!

Just try feeding him. If he's not hungry, he won't eat, and if he does spit up, it's not a big deal. Babies do it all the time. It doesn't mean they're sick, and usually doesn't cause them any discomfort. Your baby will let you know what he wants. But it does sound like he's hungry, not having a tummy ache.

I don't think its possible to overfeed a baby at the breast, especially one so young. if they are hungry they will work to get the milk, if not they won't. it doesn't hurt to offer if you think he's hungry about the spitup.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks for your replies! I've just got to get used to the idea that he's gonna be attached at the breast for a while!

I also just wanted to add that some babies want to nurse a little right after a spit up. They're soothing their throats if it was a little unpleasant, and that's okay, too.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. Did your mom formula-feed her kids? If so, she may not be used to the normal feeding frequency of a breastfed baby. Regardless of how she fed her kids, you are the mom now, and it's you who knows your baby best.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My little guy does exactly the same thing.

I always offer him the breast again but I find that if it is just wind/gas that he will only do a couple of sucks and then get really fussy and pop on and off, and seem really frustrated. He wants to suck but don't drink. I also find that if it is wind his latch is really bad and shallow. Whereas if he is hungry he drinks.

If he is fussy I stop him straight away as adding the little bit of milk that he does get from being on, just compacts the situtation and makes it worse. If I suspect wind I give him gripewater and massage his tummy and within 5-10min he is happy and relaxed again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missyb View Post

If he is fussy I stop him straight away as adding the little bit of milk that he does get from being on, just compacts the situtation and makes it worse. If I suspect wind I give him gripewater and massage his tummy and within 5-10min he is happy and relaxed again.
    Good suggestion!
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

Just another thing I have noticed with DS is that his cry is a lot different when it is wind/gas.

It is like he has a cold and lost his voice when it is a windy cry. Not much sound comes out and what does come out is a high pitched coarse whine. Almost like a cat in pain, if that makes sense.

A bit random but might help you?