Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Short Feeding Times?

Default Short Feeding Times?

My daughter just turned 7 weeks yesterday and for the last two days hasn't really been feeding as long as she had been prior. Usually she'd feed between 15-30 minutes every 1-2 hours during the day and would have two 3 hours stretches at night.

I have a very overactive letdown especially at night or first thing in the morning so I feed her on one side usually for 2-3 hours and then switch instead of feeding from both sides during a session.

The last couple days it seems like she's been eating more like 5-10 minutes instead of 20-30. Just curious if I should be concerned or is it just a normal adjustment as she changes, going in and out of growth spurts. Today especially she didn't feed as much, she had 2-3 long naps (i.e. for 2 hours solid) instead of just 1 long nap.

Thanks!

Default Re: Short Feeding Times?

keep an eye on her diaper output. have their been any changes in the number or the look of her bms?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Congratulations on your little one. My little girl routinely eats for less than 15 minutes on both breasts. She usually drains the first in about 5-10 minutes, usually about 7, and then nurses on the other side for about 5 minutes or so. I have a scale and have done several pre-and post feed weights and know she is getting between 3 and 5 1/2 oz consistently. As long as your LO is continuing to gain weight and have adequate output then I wouldn't worry in the slightest. I too have an overactive letdown, at least on one side, and she just gets her milk quickly. I suspect your LO is just getting more efficient at milk transfer as she gets older which combined with a fast milk flow makes for shorter meal times.

She has tons of wet diapers, one every feeding pretty much so I don't think she's dehydrated. Maybe it was just a quick phase. Yesterday she was back to a little longer feeding (at least 10 minutes, usually 20) and only one nap which is more typical of her. I was mostly worried as the time of the feeding was short and she didn't seem to latch as strongly, it was a really loose, non-efficient latch.

Thanks!