Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lost Mommy

Default Lost Mommy

This is my first time writting in... and my first baby as well. Emma is five weeks old and the past 2 nights before bed doesn't seem to be getting enough from me so I gave her a little formula and she hates it. Hates the bottle and the formula. She cries and whines because she can't latch onto the bottle. So my first question is what kind of bottles do any of you use? I am also worried my milk is going away, the past few days I haven't felt as full. I am drinking mother's milk tea which is awful and my diet is good and I am taking my vitamins and drinking lots of water. I am just scared I don't want my milk to stop yet I want to give my daughter all I can. This has definitly been the hardest thing I have ever done, it is vey rewarding being that close and giving her all that nutrition but I cry every time I have given her the bottle I feel unfit and I know I am doing good it's just hard. So second question is how do I keep up my milk supply? I feel a little hopeless right now. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: Lost Mommy

Hi and welcome!! Congratulations on your LO!!
    The absolute best way to bring up supply is to keep baby at the breast...eliminate all bottles if possible.
    What makes you think your supply is low? As your supply starts to become even to your LO's needs your boobs won't be engorged KWIM??
    The best way to measure if your LO is getting enough is by diaper output...
    5-6 wets diapers and 2-3 poopies per day is normal.
    Also how is her weight gain?? That is another good measure.
    It can be weird to feed off a soft breast, but if you hear the suck & swallow she is getting milk!! If you are worried about supply there is a whole forum on here about supply issues...so you can check that out too. Good Luck!! HTH. feel free to ask any more questions!

Here is a link that will help with your questions:

Oh, congratulations on your little one and welcome to the boards!

Hugs to you, this is a lot harder than people think! You're doing a great job, though, giving your daughter the very best. First of all, to know if your baby is getting enough, you'll see it in what comes out the other end. You will want to see 5-6 wet diapers a day and 3-4 poopy diapers, though don't be surprised if this tapers off in a couple weeks. To get more info, check out this link.

Second, it is normal for your breasts to stop feeling so hard, heavy and full once they've "gotten used to" being filled with milk. It's still in there, just not as noticeable. Your little one is probably not needing that bottle you're trying to give her If you really think your milk supply is low after checking your baby's output, then check these two links: Increasing low milk supply and LLL Milk Supply Issues

Again, great job, mom! Hope this helps & keep us updated!

I know exactly what you feel as far as the crying during formula feedings. When my baby was still verrrry little, I didn't know very much about breastfeeding, so supplemented with formula. She too hated the taste and the fake nipple, and I felt so horrible forcing it on her. But I was afraid she wasn't getting enough.

I can't say I have ever dealt with a low supply, in fact my supply is so opposite that I'm dealing with difficulties on the other end of the spectrum. One thing I really really suggest you do though, is always try BFing before giving a bottle. She MAY get enough to satisfy, but if not, at least you're still stimulating your milk supply to increase. This could really help. And, as a PP mentioned, she is getting enough if she has enough diaper output.

I hope things get easier for you soon!

Babies also go through a growth spurt around 6 weeks of age, so at this time to make sure your supply stays caught up with baby, put the baby to breast as many times as she needs it, even if she just nursed 30 mins. ago. (Sounds horriable, I know, but it is a phase to get through that growth spurt and to get your milk to increase while it is happening). I would do as a pp said to eliminate the bottles at this point due to the growth spurt.

Good Luck & Congrats on your new baby!!!!!

I agree with the pps. I read somewhere that around 6 weeks the baby hits a growth spurt...seeming hungrier then usual, wanting to cluster feed...at the same time, Mom's milk is regulated, and so the breasts don't seem as full. It's quite common for mom's to think that they are losing their supply and then start supplementing with formula. Your LO may be hitting the 6 week spurt a little early. BF as often as she wants, and lose the bottle. Thats the best advice I can give you. Hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by emma's mommy View Post
    This is my first time writting in... and my first baby as well.
    Welcome!

Emma is five weeks old and the past 2 nights before bed doesn't seem to be getting enough from me
    What makes you feel that she isn't getting enough from you?

so I gave her a little formula and she hates it. Hates the bottle and the formula. She cries and whines because she can't latch onto the bottle.
    That must have been very worrisome.

I am also worried my milk is going away, the past few days I haven't felt as full.
    This can be totally normal! Around 5-12 weeks postpartum, your milk production levels will begin to even out to your baby's demand. This is likely why you do not feel as full. Please read this info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/normal.html

I am drinking mother's milk tea which is awful and my diet is good and I am taking my vitamins and drinking lots of water.
    It's important to take care of YOU.

I am just scared I don't want my milk to stop yet I want to give my daughter all I can. This has definitly been the hardest thing I have ever done, it is vey rewarding being that close and giving her all that nutrition but I cry every time I have given her the bottle I feel unfit and I know I am doing good it's just hard.
    You're doing great!

So second question is how do I keep up my milk supply?
    You remove milk more frequently, and nurse your baby as often as she likes. The more milk you remove, the more milk you will make!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Have you contacted your local LLL Leader? She will be a great resource for information and support!

I am new to the forum also, its really really great to connect with other new bf'ing mom's.
    About the milk supply, what I've heard is that, keeping baby at the breast as much as he/she wants will keep the milk coming, our midwife had said that sometimes it will seem like baby is just pulling at the nipple or crying and just sucking a little, what he/she is actually doing is bringing the milk on!!! so try not to get frustrated, I'm only a bit more than 3 weeks, in the beginning when my milk came in and my son couldn't latch on, I would cry and cry, but thankfully the milk was almost just dripping in to his mouth, I was so engorged, and it all passed quickly, now were doing great *thankfully*

I have a shorter temper, and get frustrated easily, but really tried to stay positive and calm, those little people find a way to get the milk out..
    Also I was just staring and reading "how to get your baby to latch on" diagrams and articles when I had a hard time getting him to latch. It really helped.

Good luck with the milk

Thank you all for your advice... I had been giving my breast and afterwards is when she wanted more that's when I supplemented with formula. I did the same last night except I BF then she got sick and vomitted and had eaten off both breats for about tweenty minutes later she was hungry and I had nothing to give her so she ate an ounce of formula and slept for three hours and then we have both been fine and able to BF all morning. Her diapers are doing fine she actually poops and pees almost every diaper change. She weighed 7 lbs 8 ounces when she was born and lost 4 ounces before we left the hospital we were there three days because I had a c-section unexpectedly because I had a high fever and my pulse and blood pressure was high, so they kept me on antiboitics for three days and Emma was perfect didn't get sick at all. She was born on a Monday, Wednesday night we were home and Thursday we went to the CPN to check the babies weight and make sure I was BF her ok. She had gained a few ounces back. That night my milk came in and we had been doing good at our two week visit she weighed 8 lbs 3 ounces and the doctor said she had never seen a baby jump up that much that quickly. Last week she went through a grwoth spurt she was eating every hour for three days and I thought I wasn't gonna make it. The next two days after I started pumping after she was done eating so I could get an extra supply and I feel like after those two days that I pumped is when I stopped feeling full and as if she wasn't getting enough. So I stopped pumping, it has been the past three nights that my breasts don't have enough to get her full to go to sleep, I give her both breats and she finishes them both in 15-20 min. So that's when I have given her formula. This is all so new to me like I said before this is my first baby and my mom nor my sister BF and my husband and I live 6 hours away from my family so I kinda feel all alone. My husband is very supportive but I am so overwhelmed. I am really glad I have all you mothers out there to help, it's truely a blessing to me thank you!!