Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! REALLY sore boobs :(

Default Help!! REALLY sore boobs :(

Hi ladies, wondered if you could offer any advice ...

My LO is 6 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. We've had a bit of a difficult journey including pretty nasty mashed nipples at the beginning, caused by a poor latch and tongue tie, both of which have since been fixed. Thankfully, though, we finally seem to have breastfeeding established.

The problem is that over the last 3-4 days my boobs have just been so unbelievably sore. Just picking up my LO and holding him to my chest is incredibly painful - and if I walk into anything or knock my boobs by accident it is agony. The pain is a deep, dull ache in both breasts, covering the whole of each breast right the way round the sides towards (though not into) the armpits. Thing is, the pain is only there in BETWEEN feeds. There is no pain at all during feeds, in fact this seems to be the only time that there is any relief from the pain! It's almost feels as if my breasts are engorged, although they're not hard or lumpy as they were when I suffered from engorgement when my milk came in.

I also get a really painful / uncomfortable prickling sensation across the top of both breasts (particularly when I move or exhale / cough / laugh etc ??). This occasionally feels as if my skin is burnt (but not burning - if that makes any sense??)

I don't have any other symptoms - no redness, hotness or lumps, no itchy or flaky nipples or blisters. LO has no nappy rash or patches inside his mouth. On that basis I've pretty much ruled out thrush and mastitis.

I know I have a lot of milk and a really fast / strong letdown - my LO has dropped a feed in the last couple of weeks and I've been pumping at the time of the missed feed to try and build up a stash of EBM. I get 4-5 ounces from one breast and 1-2 ounces from the other.

I'm taking paracetamol every 4 hours but it doesn't seem to be providing much relief at all.

Do you think that the pain is just my breasts 'filling up' in between feeds, or something more sinister? I'm reluctant to go to the docs if this is normal, as I don't want to be given medicine (for me and/or the LO) that we don't need. Has anyone experienced anything similar??

Default Re: Help!! REALLY sore boobs :(

I had a similar experience around 3 months in and thought it was thrush, with just no visible symptoms. I treated it like so as I didn't want it to progress, the pain so big at times it would wake me up at night. The pain did go away after a week or two but never knew what is was, and always thought it could have been a sensitive letdown phase I was going to. perhaps someone here will know more for you, good luck momma!
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

any breast or nipple pain I took as a good excuse to slow down... Are you doing too much?

What you describe sounds like thrush to me. Pain between feedings and a burning sensation- that's kind of a textbook description. I know you feel that you have ruled it out, but thrush is tricky. It can present in a variety of ways, and one member of the nursing pair can be asymptomatic while the other is affected. I think there are a lot of moms here who will tell you that they and their babies had thrush despite an absence of certain "classic" symptoms like a yeast rash or white patches in the mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks guys - nope, can't really say I've done an awful lot over the last few days, if anything it's been quieter than the preceding few weeks.
    As for thrush, whilst I'm happy to accept any suggested diagnosis I fear that my explanation of my symptoms probably wasn't the clearest, I don't have any burning sensation, but my skin does on occasion feel prickly and sore, almost like sunburn or (probably more accurately) like a nettle rash.
    Anyway, I've woken up this morning with terrifically rock hard engorged boobs and so am beginning to think that the problem lies with my pumping - perhaps I've pumped too much and over-increased my (already plentiful) supply??

could be, are you having a fever? Chills?
    this might be helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html