Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About to give up breastfeeding !

Default Re: About to give up breastfeeding !

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think that your real problem here is your self-confidence. You're looking at your pump output and feeling inadequate when you really shouldn't be. Your output is fine, and you should't really expect to see more than a couple oz when you pump. I know you have a friend who gets more milk- but that doesn't mean you're not making enough. Your friend could just be one of the many moms who starts out with oversupply!

Put the bottles and the formula away. I don't think you need them.
    I think you're defeating your purpose by trying so hard to increase your supply--it sounds like, ironically, you're making it harder to build your supply. I think other posters are exactly right about ditching the pump and letting her nurse when she's hungry, or every couple of hours. If you keep an eye on her output and she's having plenty of wet and dirty diapers, you can see whether she's getting enough--if it's going out, it's getting in, kwim? Hang in there!

BREASTFEED YOUR BABY AND TRUST YOUR BODY TO PROVIDE THE MILK YOUR BABY NEEDS. YOU ARE NORMAL AND CAN DO THIS!!!

You are all great!!!!!!! You guys are right and thanks for pointing out the problem. I do have a confidence problem toward my body producing milk.

I got 2 oz if I am luck. Usually, at most I get about .5 or 1oz for pumping. If I don't breastfeed, I get maybe 1.5 oz for pumping.

I thought pumping in between feeding can increse supply. You may be right, maybe I work too hard that may not be effective. Let me try to skip pumping after breastfeeding. All those times I've been breastfeeding and give supplement to my baby after the breastfeeding, so my baby is doing fine. She's gaining good weight from 7lbs to over 9lbs this month. She does have a lot of dipers. I have not tried it without supplement.

Thanks for all your support, advice and honesty. Yeah, I see my friend can pump up to 5 or 6 oz milk, and I thought I was abnormal. I was expecting myself to pump about 3-4 oz milk before breastfeeding, yet I only pump maybe up to 1.5 oz or 2 oz if I am lucky. I thought baby at this time probably drinks about 3-4 oz milk.

Please help me to build the confidence. I never done breastfeeding successfully with my first child. This is my second child and last child because I don't have any plans too have more kids except if God's will to give me another one. I really want breastfeeding but I am so scared to dump the formula and bottle. I felt I couldn't do the feeding without the supplement after the breastfeeding. When my baby doesn't have enough, she sometimes feels frustrated after the breastfeeding until I give her the supplement. I know the baby wants more nurse because sometimes she would even refused bottle. When I am trying, sometimes my mother-in-law would discourage me also. She would say since I don't have much milk, I should not wast my time and energy to breastfeed the baby. Sometimes I got discouraged by her comment and really thought about not nursing her. But I do want to nurse her as much as I can.

Please hellp!!!!!!! Thanks a lot.

Joy

You can do this. Don't listen to unsupportive people. Just trust your body to do what it was created to do.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Mama, if your baby still seems hungry after a feeding, just try putting her back to your breast again right away! If you start a feeding on the left side, make sure you offer the right side too, and if baby still seems hungry after she finishes the right side, then offer the left again, and so on! You might think you don't have any milk left, but your breasts are never truly empty. You are always making milk, so try putting baby back to the breast if she still seems hungry. And sometimes certain babies just have a very high need for sucking and want to be at the breast constantly, this is perfectly normal and not an indication that baby is necessarily still hungry. You can do this! Your body was MADE to do this!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Step away from the pump Put down the bottle If you are getting indicators that baby is hungry, just nurse more. Switch back and forth between breasts.

Your friend, btw, has an OS and that probably won't last (and she is not helping herself if she is nursing and pumping). Everybody is different.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'll try again and dump the pumping. I actually pump less now and I feel more relaxed. It looks like my body is produce a little bit more milk.

Thanks for all your support.

Joy

One more thing, I guess I am not used to my body can produce milk at anytime. I got to worry sometimes whether my breast has enough milk or not after feeding the baby on both sides. Like what you said, I'll try to learn to trust my body.

So if I constantly nursing, I don't have to pump, right? Originally I thought nursing and pumping after nursing will increase more milk. I guess it might not. Thanks!

Joy

If you nurse then pump, yes, it can increase your supply. But most moms freak completely out doing that because they don't get anything in the pump and think they must not be making milk. But the increased stimulation to the breasts does increase supply.

It can take some days to weeks, though, to build a supply via pumping. A baby is much more efficient than a pump, so a baby just needs a few days of cluster nursing to increase your supply. But a pumping mom has to pump more, more often and longer for more days before she sees an increase.

If you don't have to pump, just trust baby to tell your body what baby needs. Go with the flow.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Got your message. I will try to avoid pumping for now. Thanks Susan and all others.

Joy